Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

B200 is showing up on my printer and not allowing me to

Customer Question
print. I have unplugged...
B200 is showing up on my printer and not allowing me to print. I have unplugged and replugged 2 times with no change. I have WiFi in place and this occurred after a Microsoft update of my computer. UGH!! I hate updates!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
10/8/2016
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The B200 message is not actually related to the update, most likely.

Though I sympathize with your dislike of updates.

How old is the printer? what events have happened to it lately? any paper jams?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No paper jams, it is probably 5 years old. No likely problems really. Recently changed out anink, but that has happened before and no problems.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I now remember that this occurred when the printer was printing the back of a 2 sided print request

Did the paper then stop within the printer and have to be removed?

And, are you using genuine Canon OEM-original ink cartridges?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the paper stopped. I removed it. I use only Canon ink.

Try unplugging the printer from the power.

Leave it that way, for at least 20 minutes.

Then plug it in and try it again.

(If that does not help clear the error, I will have further suggestions.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unplugged. We shall see!!

OK.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still showing B200 error when I power up after re-plugging. Now what?

With the printer open, move the carriage manually to the left.

Then push the Power button rapidly and repeatedly about five times until the printer goes dead.

Then wait 10 minutes.

Then rapidly push the Power button about six times, to turn it On, and then close the cover over the carriage bay / interior of the device.

Wait a while. Perhaps 10 minutes. The printer may by this time, come online without error.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Trying

OK.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That got it!!! I don't have B200 on the printer screen anymore and it has connected to the WiFi. Do I need to check the printer que or am I done?

Check the printer queue but probably once the printer is connected and Online to be printed to, the printer queue should clear.

But yeah... checking it briefly before sending anything else, is a good idea, very thorough.

If this concludes the case, please rate my answer - five stars would be appropriate I think!

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now it has returned to B200... UGH. I thought we had it gone

At what point did it say B200 ?

Did you send print to it already?

What does the print queue show now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to just copy a page, before I checked the que. Did I goof??

Check the queue, clear it, please.

Your printer has a recurrent problem with recognizing or otherwise 'using' an ink cartridge.

Are the cartridges you use 'regular' Canon-made OEM cartridges?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The que is empty. Yes, the ink is from Staples and is Canon.

Try this:

- fold over, fourfold, a fresh paper towel.

- remove the cartridges, one by one, and set them aside on their sides on the paper towel, being sure to not touch the copper-colored contacts on them, nor to touch the inky underside. Either of these mistakes could ruin the cartridge and require its replacement.

- with the printer still open, unplug it from the power (while it is On.)

- wait from 5 to 10 minutes, no longer and no shorter (for various reasons.)

- plug in the printer, turn it On if needed, wait 2 minutes until it (hopefully) comes up demanding the cartridges be put in rather than saying 'B200 Error'.

Have you reached this point? what shows on the printer? let me know... if it isn't B200 you may put one cartridge only, back into the printer, and close up the printer, than wait for it to assess that cartridge, and ask (hopefully) for the others. Don't go beyond this point and let me know first, before proceeding further.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't get the cartridges to the left enough to remove. Should I turn off the computer??

The cartridges don't have to be moved - just the carriage they are mounted in. Don't force it! if it resists being moved by hand, turn the printer Off. And try again, gently.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That worked. All out. Now to complete the task.

OK.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Plugged back in. Turned on. Telling me that cover is open. Now what?

OK.

Then put in one cartridge, then close it up again, wait 2 minutes or so until the printer settles down again, see if B200 has returned, and then open again (if B200 has not returned) to put another cartridge in... and repeat that process.

If one cartridge brings back the B200 error, when tried back into the printer, then it is a 'rogue' cartridge perhaps, and should be either returned for a refund, or in any case, another one should be tried of that color.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got the dreaded B200 after only 1 cartridge.

Take it out.

Pull the plug on the printer.

Wait 2 or 3 minutes only.

Plug in again, wait until it initializes, then (if no B200) put in a different cartridge than that one.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I plug in again, when do I put the cover down?

Only when there's a cartridge in it, or another cartridge put into it after the first (second (third) etc.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Got it. Second single cartridge is also giving B200

Is your printer the kind with a lock lever (colored) next to where the cartridges go?

If so, remove all cartridges, set aside carefully. (I hope they are not drying out by now.)

So, pull up the lock lever, raise up the printhead 'box' (it's sort of three-sided in most models) handling it only by the edge.

Then push it back down into the printer into its place, and lower the lock lever down to hold it in place.

Repeat the one-cartridge-at-a-time process.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Don't see lock lever. The cartridges seem to be held with a silver plastic 3 sided piece which is spring held ( I can see the spring on the left). It doesnt want to move much, though. Am I missing something??

No. Nothing missing.

Your printer regrettably needs either service-repairing, or else replacing. The B200 error has ended badly, with no further recourse of action that you can take.

If you need further info. about either option (repair, or replacing), let me know.

(Meanwhile, put the cartridges all back into the printer... it will keep them from drying out at least.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
BUMMER!!!

Agreed, substantially. Is there any further advice you need?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What's a good HP replacement????

What capabilities do you need, please?

1. photocopying

2. color printing

3. scanning/faxing

4. photo printing

5. duplex printing

?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I print photos and general black and white. I also copy, but don't FAX much. I would like to be able to scan so that I can store photos digitally and I do 2 sided print. I also do some odd size printing (like envelopes and printing on photos), so need to be able to adapt to those.

This seems to be something that would suit your requirements:

http://www.staples.com/HP-OfficeJet-Pro-6835-e-All-in-One/product_2102738?cid=PS:GooglePLAs(###) ###-####amp;ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=2102738&KPID=2102738&gclid=CLuj5sfwy88CFVRahgodOOwHsQ

but for sure, there are also other choices. (I was presuming you wanted a new HP, not a used one.)

HP printers have a considerable advantage (at present and for the last several years): HP is so dedicated to certain considerations related to recycling, that they offer cash-back on their old printers, good toward purchase of a new one - or in some or most cases, a choice of just plain cash-back-for-old-printer.

There are also other options they offer for disposing of their old printers... so be sure, even *if* your HP printer fails by and by, you will have some cash-valuable options for disposing of it. (Unless these HP options disappear in the course of years... I would presume not.)

Thank you for following the process of trying to get your printer working with me.

A good rating (or five-star, preferably) would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck with the new printer, and thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech