Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert
30970729

What should I select in Adobe Photoshop Soft Proof settings

Customer Question

What should I select in Adobe Photoshop Soft Proof settings for my Brother MFC-J285dw Printer?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I bought it in 2012 or 2014, but within that timeframe.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Its not an issue. I do photo editing and its possible to see what my colors would look like before printing. So, I wanted to know if there is a setting that is more compliant than the standard CMYK setting I am currently using. I have had color printing issues for unimportant documents but if I have an important one like a painting or printing color photos from Photoshop I want to see my results if possible before I print.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would also like to get the ICC profile files, they maybe of use also.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

First, select the View/Proof Setup menu. You will see several presets for common conditions.

The current preset, which will be the default if you haven't changed it, will have a tick against it.

You should use Monitor RGB.

A full list of the different settings and how they will display your photos are:

Working CMYK: This will be the CMYK printing condition defined in the Color Settings menu. That is the ICC profile, such as 'FOGRA 39', with the associated Rendering Intent, etc.
Working Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black and CMY, etc.: Displays individual or groups of colour channels using the working CMYK set-up. These proofs were known as 'progressives' in the industry a long time ago, and will be of little use today.
(Legacy) Macintosh RGB and Windows RGB: Displays images as a basic (non-calibrated) monitor might. Useful for checking images destined for the web, as is the more modern Internet Standard RGB.
Monitor RGB: Image displayed using your monitor profile and no further colour management.
Colour Blindness settings: How people with two of the common forms of colour blindness might perceive colour.
Individual Presets: Settings you have previously saved and named.

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------