Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Print error, epson wf 7520, pc win 7 64 bit, today, i had a

Customer Question
print error JA: What's the make...
print error
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: epson wf 7520
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc win 7 64 bit
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: today
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i had a print come out wrong colors so attempted to do the maintenance, clean print heads
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when will i get a response
10/5/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

What is the specific error code/number you are getting on the printer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no error code. the display reads "Printer error. Turn power off and then on again. For details see your documentation or visit epson.com"Needless to say, i tried everything, including deleting the printer and reinstalling it.

There should be a code number showing at the top of the printer screen, such as 0xF1 for example

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no code number, just X Error

Okay,

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i did all of this, some of which i had done before i contacted you. still same error
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NONE OF THIS WORKED
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
H E L P
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ARE YOU GOING TO HELP ME
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
NONE OF THESE STEPS WORKED, STILL SAME ERROR CODE

I am here, please try to send just a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond. When you send multiple messages they get lost/delayed and I'm just now getting all of them.

Are you absolutely certain there is nothing else at all showing on the display of the actual printer (not on the computer)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is exactly as when we started, the display screen reads X error.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no error code

If you go into the printer preferences on your computer under the tools/utility screen (or into the epson utility program) does it give you any other information there?

That general error doesn't mean anything at this point other than that there is a hardware problem, if you've completed all these steps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i already did that. tried to print a test page while there, nada.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if you are unable to help, let me know. it is time for me to leave the office

I'm just trying to get more specifics so I can give you an accurate answer.

At this point if you have done all of these steps it leaves only the possibility of a hardware failure, and since it happened after print quality issues and cleaning it is most likely to be a faulty printhead. This is a 2012 model so it is well past its 3 year service life and at this point the printer would need to be replaced. It would cost about $250 to repair it and you could buy a brand new model with a fresh warranty (if you need the full size tabloid model) for $200: http://amzn.to/2dtMeUE

If you'd prefer to have it repaired though I can help you find a local shop.

My apologies for the news,

Do you need more help with this?

John, Computer Science Engineer