Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Gestetner 635e, Gestetner dsm635sp, I can print just cant

Customer Question
Gestetner 635e JA: What's the make/model...
Gestetner 635e
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Gestetner dsm635sp
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I can print just cant scan
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: PC
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: prior pc was used as a host but it died.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
10/5/2016
Technician: Jennifer French, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your scanning problem tonight.

Without researching and drawing from your question and my experience, I am 90% sure it is a driver issue.

A driver is software on your computer that tells your hardware what to do. If that software gets corrupted, which happens sometimes, then your hardware doesn't function as it should. If you can print, but not scan, then that tells me that your computer is having an issue telling your printer to scan.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, what can I do to fix it?

My first question is do you have any of the install discs or install software for this particular unit?

My second is, how old is this machine?

My third is how many computers use this machine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No Discs
It's likely 15 years old
two computers
I'm thinking it may be a setup issue since I have to manually input the data into the printer.
My old host computer died a couple of days ago

I am almost certain that is the root cause. There's no software telling the scanner what to do. As far as actually finding the drivers for this thing, I cannot find ANY at all. I may be able to find the old drivers for it, but I can't guarantee they will be compatible with the newer operating systems or servers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you direct me on how to set it up manually?

Are you installing on a Windows Server host or just a client model? Or on a virtual server?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its a Gestetner DSm635sp and the print driver that worked was the Ricoh 2035e

I actually found them!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just a windows pc
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do I just load it from the address?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, Ill give it a go, can I contact you further, if it works or not?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or can you do it?

If I were to do it, it would cost an extra $39.99. If you do it, I will still be here if you need help. If I can't answer, then someone here definitely can at no extra cost. We are all a team here. We will get you an answer no matter what.

As far as downloading, just click on your OS, download the drivers for your operating system, restart the computer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I'll give it a go...Thx

You are welcome! Definitely let me know the outcome or if you need further help!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry but I have window 8.1/64 I don't see that and the only window 8 is 32
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
should I use the server 08 SERVER PCL6? I think that's what we used in the past. but not sure.

I haven't had my hands in this stuff for a long time. I think I'm going to open this up to another expert. We have some really skilled experts who can pick up where some of us are rusty. I'm going to opt out and let you get a second opinion. Don't download anything until another expert takes a look at this, if you don't mind. Thank you for allowing me to work on this!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok
Technician: Joel Kalman, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is the problem that you are having with your Gestetner DSM635SP printer or scanner?

Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer