Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I have a printer that has printed only 500 pages life, and

Customer Question

i have a printer that has printed only 500 pages life, and it jams any time I duplex
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: brother mfc-9330cdw
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: win 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing changed, it just started jamming on duplex I just ran a big job several hundred pages non duplex it printed fine
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 11 months ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

Duplex printing on some printers require that one side be printed on first.....then the paper is ALMOST ejected, and then sucked BACK IN, for the second print to the other side of the paper.

While other printers actually have 2 printing drums, and 2 Fuser's, and 2 scrpaers, and just 2 of everything, so that wehn a duplex print is done, the page only rolls through the printer ONCE, and gets printed on both sides simultaneously.

.

The printers that do the duplex printing at once, will almost never cause a jam.

However, the printers that have to do one side at a time, are much more prone to jamming, as the paper has to roll through the printer twice.

.

Has the duplex printing ALWAYS been an issue? Since the day it was new?

Or did it do duplex with no issues for a while, and then start to have probems?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Haven't had issues until now. If doc is over about 8 pages it jams

okay.....and how long have you had it?

Do you use it heavily? more than 20 pages printed per day?

Have you had any regular maintenance done on it yet?

it sounds to me like its either

A) pulling 1 too many sheets of paper at once.

B) pulling a single sheet of paper off center.. If a roller is dirty, it wont grab the paper correctly, and will end up pulling the paper off center, and that causes the paper to move off track.....and jam.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not use it heavily. It had around 500 pages printed on it and I got it in July 2015. I didnt figure maintenance was needed with page count at 500
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will check the rollers to see if any appear warn or dirty.

This kind of issue, isnt one that is solved by a software setting change, or a software update.

This kind of issue requires visually inspecting the paper track, the rollers, and any other moving parts.

You also want to make sure your paper isnt too stuck together. Fanning the paper (like flipping pages in a book) to help loosen the paper before placing it in the printer can help this too.

I assume your using just the standard A4 (8.5 x 11) paper designed for printers?

Check to make sure there are not little pieces of paper stuck in the printer anywhere.....that can heppen when you are clearing a paper jam, and the paper rips and a piece is left behind.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
standard paper. I will check that also.

The printer is over a year old, and about once a year you should be having it maintained. No matter how many pages you print.

Dust, Humidity and other factors, can cause issues no matter how many pages have been printed.

The fact that it jams on duplex printing, suggests an internal component is not functioning correctly. Either dirty, broken, or begining to fail is the cause of a duplex print to jam.

But, if this was an inexpensive printer, and you didnt anticipate having it maintained over the years.....you can do duplex printing.....in a MANUAL Proces......and really isnt too hard.

Instead of having the printer, do the page flip....you do it.

Say you have 10 pages (front and back) to print.

Pages 1,3,5,7,9,11, etc ect will print first.

Then you pop thise pages BACKN in the paper drawer.....and the printer prints to the back side. pages 2,4,6,8,10 etc etc

.

This keeps the printer in SIMPLEX mode.......yet still allows duplex printing....with just a little manual intervention from the user (you) to pop the pages back in the paper tray in the correct orientation.

.

Thats how i have to print duplex.....as my printer only prints to 1 side.

.

I know this isnt what you had in mind......but it is a work around, until you can have the printer serviced, or service the printer yourself. But i dont reccomend this AT ALL! There are so many moving parts and such, that if you dont know....you can easily cause more damage without even knowing it.......printers are delicate devices.

There is an entire section in the User guide dedicated to ROUTINE MAINTENANCE.

I think you might look at the image link below, showing you how to clean the Paer pick up rollers.

As that might be the culprit.

There are many many points inside the printer that you do NOT even want to touch, as they can get VERY hot, or that by touching them causes damage.

The User guide illusrates this in detail.....and again.....i DO NOT reccomend you go about doing any disassembly of the printer, unless you know or have done it before.

Please take a moment to rate my performance.

Thank You!

Duplex printing that JAMS, is caused by the PAPER being curled at the edges.......the paper pick up rollers being dirty or damaged........or a piece or component of the duplex printing sub assembly is broken.

In 9 out of 10 cases.....its the paper or the roller.

.

Thats the best answer you can get from a remote position.

PLEASE, take a moment to rate my performance.

or

if you have any follow-up questions....PLEASE let me know.

Thank You!