John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I can't figure out how to change the printing from the rear

Customer Question

I can't figure out how to change the printing from the rear tray to the front tray
JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: It's a Canon PIXMA MG5320
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: from a PC
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I was trying to print some labels from the front tray, but it wouldn't switch from the back one. I tried doing the switch according to the instructions, but it didn't work. I've had this problem before.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, this is the main problem
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is your computer operating system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please, I'm waiting for an answer

On your computer please go to Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > View Devices & Printers and highlight the print server icon for your Canon PIXMA MG5320 printer. Then use the menu button on your mouse (right-click) to open the menu and select Printing Preferences.

Select the Paper Quality tab tell me what the Paper Source setting reads now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Plain paper

That is the Media setting. What is the Paper Source setting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cassette

Please change the Paper Source setting to Printer Auto Select.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I did it

Select OK and close the dialog box. What application are you printing labels from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From a Toshiba laptop

What is the application?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what you mean by application. Sorry. Windows 7?

Like Microsoft Word, for example.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's Microsoft Word. I just tried printing again but it didn't change over to the cassette
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there?

In Word go to File > Print and select Printer Properties. This will open the same dialog box as before.

Then tell me what the Paper Size setting reads now.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 1/2 x 11

Is that the size of your label sheets?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, my wife uses the printer also from her Apple laptop

That should not make any difference, unless she is changing the printer settings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far as I know she doesn't do that

There are a lot of complaints about this problem on the internet. Please standby while review some of them...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think there may be a defect in the printer. However when my wife uses it it always prints from the front
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks

That is good information. It shows that there is no defect in the printer. It may be in your print drivers. I recommend that we uninstall them completely and reinstall them. You mentioned that this has happened before. Do you remember how the problem was solved?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hold a minute
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay instruct me how to do it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I don't remember

First go to Control Panel > Printers and delete the print server icon(s) for your printer. Then go to Control Panel > Programs and uninstall all Canon software for your printer. Then restart your computer. You can return to this conversation by selecting the link in your notification email.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe it was by closing down the computer and starting up again

You can try that first, if you want to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried closing, starting and printing again but it didn't work

Okay then. Let's go with the uninstall procedure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay tell me what to do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I find is color management

Are you in Control Panel >Programs, and you do not see any Canon programs listed there after all the programs are populated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there's nothing of Canon there that I can see

They are alphabetical. Maybe they are under P for PIXMA or M for MG if not C for Canon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just went to Canon Inkjet Print Utility and it says "a driver supported by this software is not installed"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There's nothing under C except what I just sent you and nothing under P or M or G

Okay. That utility probably has the uninstall software function. Let's just go ahead and download and install the new drivers from the Canon website. I will send you the link.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay go ahead

Here is the link. Make sure that your operating system is selected and download the Canon 5300 Series Mini Master setup:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-series-inkjet/mg5320

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've selected the mini master, clicked on select, clicked on the disclaimer then clicked on download but don't see that it has downloaded the drivers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I do now?

Go to your Download folder and look for it there. If you sort the list by date, by clicking on the column heading, it will be on top. Then you can select it to open it.

Before it gets downloaded a Run - Save - Cancel bar will appear at the bottom of your browser. You may have missed that. Scroll down to find it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I went back and right clicked on select then clicked on save as then in the save box that came up I clicked on save. Is that enough? Will it go to its proper place

I am not sure what you are referring to. Where did you go back to right click on Select and Save? What window?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To the right of mini master setup bar there's a box with "select" in it. I right clicked on that box, then hit save as, and that opened up the official save box

On the Canon webpage the Select box does not work that way on my screen. You will recall that you originally selected (left-click) the Select box and that opened the Download button and the Disclaimer Agreement. When you accept the agreement and select the Download button, you get the Run - Save - Cancel bar at the bottom of your browser. If you select Run, it will automatically install. If you select Save, it will go to your Downloads folder where it will self-extract when you select it.

And install.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I found my error. I finally looked at the bottom and saw the link I needed to click on--and did it now it's insta

Yes. It is easy to miss if your browser window is not full screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But it it won't finish because it says "the printer driver is currently in use" what do I do now?

Close your Word application and your Control Panel windows. You may have restart your computer again and then repeat the download.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, I'll try that. Should we finish the dialogue now, for tonight?

Sure. When do you want to resume tomorrow? Are you in the Eastern time zone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we're in the Chattanooga area. We could start about 9:30 am

That's a little early for me. I am in Los Angles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha. I have an errand to do in the morning. 1 pm would be good for me. Is that okay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay let's do that about 1 pm if that's a good hour for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pm here

Okay. That sounds good. See you then online.

Good afternoon!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, unfortunately I can't get involved right now as I have another commitment. Sorry. I'll try to get back with you later.

Okay. I will be available whenever you post that you are ready to continue.