Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My daughter got 2 new cartridges for the printer. But I

Customer Question

My daughter got 2 new cartridges for the printer. But I don't know where the tray is. Is it in the machine or a separate part? I have looked all over for the tray
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: It's an HP Desk Jet 1510. Don't know what kind of cartridges she used. All I know is she got them at Walmart
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: It's a PC laptop. I am a real Luddite & am not sure what you mean by OS?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was working fine, but the color was fading. She said I needed a new cartridge. When I went to print something it told me I needed the tray that catches what you print. Is that anywhere in the machine itself or a separate piece.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "tray"?
Are you asking how to insert the new cartridge?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it's the plastic tray that catches what you print so it doesn't fall on the floor. It seems to me that it is a separate part, but I can't find any tray around the printer.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still connected to me?
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Yes I am here, but please try to send just a single response and allow me a few moments to reply, the site messages are not quite instant and can take a bit for back and forth.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, sorry
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

That's okay, just wanted you to know I wasn't ignoring you.

At the front edge of the printer, in the center, there is a plastic flap that is about 2/3 the width of the printer, grasp that and fold it down so it is horizontal.

This then becomes the catch tray for the printed page to be output.
Are you able to print now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I pulled on a black plastic thing & now cannot get it back here it was.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I got it secured.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

OKay will it allow you to print now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it is ot printing & lights are flashing next to the x & at the bottom 2 orange buttons are flashing
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Did you put the new cartridges in yet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Okay take them out, reinsert, then take the paper out and put back in to make sure the input paper is into the slot all the way,

turn the printer off for a minute and back on, then try to print once more (making sure that output tray is down flat

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My daughter did it & I am not sure how to take out & reinstall
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Lift up the lid (just above where you folded down that door) and you'll see them there.

If you'd rather wait and have her do it that is fine too, but these steps should resolve the issue and let you print again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She lives in New Jersey & I live in Minneapolis. She was just visiting
Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Oh I'm sorry,

ok go ahead and lift up the lid and pull the cartridges out so you can follow through these steps.

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.