John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Hadn't used my printer in a while. Carteridges were out.

Customer Question

Hadn't used my printer in a while. Carteridges were out. Replaced all today. Only the red one is printing.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MFC-J615w
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc. Also trying to make black & white copy. neither works.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Hadn't used in a about two months. Didn't realize problem
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  TheGeekGal replied 10 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. This is a common problem with ink jet printer that are not used frequently. The ink that is left in the nozzles can dry up and clog the nozzles.

Cleaning the Print Heads from Your Computer

The print head cleaning function allows you to clear up clogged print head nozzle. Perform print head cleaning if printing is faint or a specific color fails to print, even though there is enough ink.

The procedure for cleaning the print head is as follows:

1. Open the printer driver setup window

2. Click Cleaning on the Maintenance tab

When the Print Head Cleaning dialog box opens, select the ink group for which cleaning is to be performed.

Click Initial Check Items to display the items you need to check before performing cleaning.

3. Execute cleaning

Make sure that the machine is on and then click Execute.

Print head cleaning starts.

Important

• Do not close the paper output tray until the cleaning is complete.

Complete cleaning

The Nozzle Check dialog box opens after the confirmation message.

Check the results

To check whether the print quality has improved, click Print Check Pattern. To cancel the check process, click Cancel.

If cleaning the head once does not resolve the print head problem, clean it once more.

Important

• Cleaning consumes a small amount of ink.

Cleaning the print head frequently will rapidly deplete your printer's ink supply. Consequently, perform cleaning only when necessary.

Deep Cleaning

Deep Cleaning is more thorough than cleaning. Perform deep cleaning when two Cleaning attempts do not resolve the print head problem.

1. Open the printer driver setup window

2. Click Deep Cleaning on the Maintenance tab

When the Deep Cleaning dialog box opens, select the ink group for which deep cleaning is to be performed.

Click Initial Check Items to display the items you need to check before performing deep cleaning.

3. Execute deep cleaning

Click OK when the confirmation message appears.

Print head deep cleaning starts.

Important

• Do not close the paper output tray until the deep cleaning is complete.

Complete deep cleaning

Check the results

Important

• Deep Cleaning consumes a larger amount of ink than Cleaning.

Note: If there is no sign of improvement after Deep Cleaning, switch off the machine, wait 24 hours, and then perform Deep Cleaning again.

If you aren't sure how to get to the printer driver setup window, please let me know what operating system you have on your computer, so I can provide detailed instructions. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/