John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

After power interruption, printer displays Chinese. how do I

Customer Question

after power interruption, printer displays Chinese. how do I restore English?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: cannon mb2320. about 1 yr old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc running windows 10
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: power interruption about 2 hours ago. was working fine before
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I restarted the computer and pulled power from printer for about a minute. no help
Category: Printers
Expert:  TheGeekGal replied 11 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this.

You should be able to change the language setting of the printer dialog box by opening the print dialog menu; and browsing to the last tab (Called Maintenence in English), then pressing the "About" button.

As soon as the About Us dialog opens, you see a language button. From there you can choose English.

Select it, then press OK and close the printer settings completely.

If this doesn't resolve the problem, you can fix this by uninstalling all of the printer software, powering off the printer and the the computer, restarting both, and then reinstalling the printer driver.

If you'd like, I can offer the PREMIUM SERVICE of a SECURE REMOTE CONNECTION. This will allow me to see exactly what is happening on your computer and to work on the problem while you watch. This is completely optional. If you'd rather not do that, I do my best to walk you through a solution here in chat.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you mean the printer dialog box? If so the printer dialog box will not respond.

Yes, I was referring to the printer dialog box. If the dialog box on the printer itself will not respond, you may have a hardware issue. You can be sure by uninstalling all of the printer software, powering off the printer and the the computer, restarting both, and then reinstalling the printer driver. After doing that restart the printer once more. If it still in Chinese and unresponsive then the printer has likely been damaged.