Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have this error code 3524 but there is no paper jam it

Customer Question

I have this error code 3524 but there is no paper jam it just came up after changing black ink c.
JA: What's the make and model of the printer?
Customer: Kodak esp office 2170
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: just happen when I changed black ink car.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: n o
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Then remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did all but still same error
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
R u still there Nathan
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, your reply just came through, thanks. Please give me just a moment to send you some more info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The code changed after restarting to 2523 instead of 2524
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for confirming

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But still don't work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just don't charge my account since your response didn't help
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately the persistence of these errors indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad logic board.

As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

These Kodaks are widely regarded as some of the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that Kodak nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would need to have that part replaced and logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

For comparison purposes, if you had gone to a repair shop first, you'd be charged $100+ for the exact same outcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I got you from Kodak web site and u d
Should realize results only bring rewards so if u charge my account I denie it.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

I did not charge you anything,

you paid the agreed upon amount to the site, not to me.

Again I'm an independent tech, so if you opt to decline the charge, that forces me to work for free to help you.

I do sincerely ***** ***** there is not a better outcome here, but to expect such a resolution for a printer this age simply is not realistic, even kodak does not provide help for these printers at this point for the same reason, they did not design them to last this long. The fee you are paying here is still minimal compared to what you'd pay at any repair shop even just for basic diagnostics. In situations like this, I'm limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem and giving you practical advise for how to proceed.

Would you like some recommendations for a better quality replacement model?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this?

If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.