Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a photosmart c410c. I use the wizard to define it to

Customer Question

I have a photosmart c410c. I use the wizard to define it to the network, and all is ok until I power the printer down/up. Then it looses the connection until I again go through the wizard. The test page shows "no filtering fail"
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: i mom
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: it is cq521c purchased a 2-3 years ago and attached until now via wire to an xp.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It was never defined for wireless. I am attempting to do so for a new win10. and to keep the xp going via wire.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: have a good day?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

What I suggest, is to set a static Ip address on the printer.. T hat way it can reconnect without needing to run the wizard.

Heres how

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address. If it is 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x then the printer is not connected. You will have to re-connect it using the same method you did originally.

Now that it is connected, this is how to set a static IP:

- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings. (if this does not work, you likely have a firewall and/or security system blocking it - please advise).
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you know what that is, set an IP outside that range but no higher than 254 (the last number in the address). If you do not know this, enter the current IP address.
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Leave the gateway and DNS blank. Click 'Apply'

Now, shut down the router and printer, start the router, wait, then start the printer.

After this you may need to redo 'Add a Printer' using the new IP address.

If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know. And if needed I can connect to your computer and set this up for you.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
To give the printer a fixed address, it would need to be able to be defined.I am upset that I was charged 25 dollars for such an answer.I have a better idea. Take a borrowed printer to the apartment and define it. If it
keeps the connection, the problem is the printer, if the same happens to the borrowed
printer the problem is the router. Buy a printer or router, depending on which is the problem.
Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Im not sure why the steps I suggested wont work.. For instance, you said that

""I use the wizard to define it to the network, and all is ok until I power the printer down/up"" So you are able to get it on the network, until you power down yes?

So that tells me, you should be able to define the printer, put it on the network. And then immediately try the steps I suggested. Once a static IP is set via the steps I suggested, you can immediately power down the printer and test if my suggestion worked.

As far as being upset, maybe you didnt understand what I was suggesting, however by your own description of the situation my suggestion should be viable. And its worth at least attempting it.

And if that doesnt work, its not a choice of replacing the printer or router yet. As there are other steps that could be done, but its senseless to discuss those steps until weve tried the suggestion I made first.

For tech support to work, you have to invest into the process and whether or not you trust who you are working with, if you dont attempt the steps suggested tech support could never possibly work.

I hope to hear back from you when you have had a chance to test out my suggestion.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 10 months ago.

Hello again, I never heard back from you after you read my response? Did you still need help with this issue, if so please respond. Otherwise please remember to click and submit a 5 star rating to show I was able to assist you, and to close out the question.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I replaced the router. works fine.
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

Glad to hear it.. If anything else comes up, let me know.

Dustin S