John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a printer which I use to print via wifi on my phone a

Customer Question

Hi there
I have a printer which I use to print via wifi on my phone a bit (am a teacher)
The printer is printing the first page and then stops with a recieving data message which can go on all day? Could you help?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: It's a sorry for delay - a mfc-j57200w Brother
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows 10 - but I use my iPhone a lot too With the same results
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: A week now
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks desperate if you can help that will be wonderful
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Been here all day trying to fix this - what should I do? Please

What is the make and model of your printer? Is it an MFC-J572DW?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Brother

What app are you using to print from your iphone?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't have an app just downloaded it from a link on the email for example and then forward to printer - I do have the scan print brother app on my phone but I don't really use it - does this make sense?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
for example from safari I click share and option for printer comes up and it asks me which printer- choose it and send to print - always worked this way without app
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Like so

I got that you download some attached file from an email< but how do you "forward" it to the printer? I will check your images.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Via safari sharing t

Is it AirPrint via wifi?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is :)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I checked Internet connection - called company provider and all that's good

Are you experiencing the problem every time you print and both from your iphone and from Windows 10?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
in fact it's not really printing at all from Windows at the moment

Have you rebooted your wireless router? This is done by disconnecting the power cable for a few seconds and then reconnecting and allowing the router to reinitialize the router tables.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have to take another look - with iPhone it prints one page and then stops
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've done that

Okay good.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also I've been unplugging the printer and then plugging it on - also reset the printer and it starts working a little and then stops again :( so if I want the full document to be printed (it's urgent) I need to keep on doing that which is rediculous ofcourse
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It seems to refuse to cancel print as well or be turned off on the printer - basically just gets stuck - I have to unplug completely

It is very common for the power switch logic to lock up. That is a minor problem that can be worked around. I use a power strip with a switch to turn my printer off and on.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was stuck like this all night yesterday
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay?

Now, when you say that you cannot cancel print, what do you mean by that. Are you canceling the print job in the print queue?

Is your printer connected wirelessly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I c it is doing that stuck thing - I try to cancel the print so I can try resending it again on the actually printer - and it just stays stuck on cancel print like the picture above - it will stay like that all night
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the printer is connected wirelessly

I did not understand your previous comment. Too many errors in the statement. Please rephrase it, and also explain what you mean by "cancel".

Did you recently upgrade your operating system to Windows 10, and did this problem start immediately after that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No not at all

What do you mean by this sentence: "I try to cancel the print so I can try resending it again on the actually printer."?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it simply means trying to manually put the printer off without unplugging - it just remained stuck- so I had to put it off by unplugging - does that make sense now?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It has no bearing to the problem, I was trying to explain that the printer just remains stuck at some point after sending the document to it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Therefore, I have to physically unplug it to and start it again. The off button on the printer does not work
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It remains with the recieving data message - or cancelling printing message until I unplug it. I hope that makes more sense?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have not downloaded Windows 10 recently it was done some time back and it did not cause this problem.

Do you know how to open your print queue and cancel a print job from there?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
From my computer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Or from the printer?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
From the computer yes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
From the phone no
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
On the actual printer I have only one way but like I said it just gets stuck

Please open your print queue from your computer and see if there are any print jobs stuck in the queue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't belive that has any bearing - the printer remains stuck and says recieving data.. It will print one page prior to getting stuck. Is there a solution for it do u think?

Yes. I think the problem is in the print queue on your computer, with the way the print drivers are installed on your computer, and/or with the way that your printer is connected to your wireless network.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When I open the computer it says that the printer is off line (when it's not) when I look at the printer it is in that stuck state (recieving data or cancelling printer)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think it would be the wireless network as that's all we use to communicate to the printer
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
if we look at that option that will be wonderful - the settings on the printer for the wireless would be the place to start?

You keep saying "canceling printer", and you will not explain what you mean by that.

We can start with the wireless settings on the printer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do u see the Red Cross on the printer - when it starts getting stuck on recieving data I press that to cancel print like so but it still remains in that state and there is no progress - so stuck - proceed to unplug that is when I start the process all over again. Hope that makes more sense
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please let's start with that
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am in the main settings what shoul I do now?

Okay. That makes more sense. Thank you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Np

Do you see a Network menu?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Go to WLAN.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok done

Please list the menus that you see there.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tcip/ip
WLAN assistant
Setup wizard
Wow/Aoss
Wps w/pin code
Wlan status
MAC address

WLAN Assistant

Actually WLAM status would be a better place to start.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It says I need a Cd rom - which I don't have at the moment - in that case say use set up wizard
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I only have 10 mins before I have to leave ��

First go to WLAN Status. Then WLAN Wizard. I got that you have to leave. When will you be able to return and continue this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am back

Okay, so what is the WLAN Status report?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sending u a photo now
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't see if it's sent or not

Photo did not arrive. Please just list the status.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seems strong the connection

Okay. Got it now.

The SSID is awfully long. That should be the name of your wifi network. And the Comm. Mode should NOT be Infrastructure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is the name of my wifi network (I should Change that) so how do is change the mode?

Your printer is not properly connected to your wifi network. We need to go through the WLAN Wizard.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do I
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I've done that already and it has
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is connected - am doing it now again - but if it wasn't connected it wouldn't even print one page?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It prints one page and then gets stuck in recieving data ��

Doing this interactively is not working. INFRASTRUCTURE is NOT the proper network configuration. I am surprised that it is printing even one page.

In order to reconfigure your router and your computer and your printer, I will need to establish a secure remote connection. There will be an extra charge for this premium service.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What if you don't solve the problem?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How would you be able to access all of my devices - what would you need?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Information etc?

Then I will refund all your charges. I would still need your cooperation. You would have to run the WLAN wizard one step at a time and only choose the options that I tell you to choose. I could login to your router from your computer and change the name of your wifi network, but then your computer would lose its internet connection, and you would have to reconnect with the new wifi network name. Hopefully we can communicate more quickly via remote chat session on your computer and avoid the long delays between AU and US.

Maybe we should not change your SSID. If you want to continue interactively, we can do that to get your printer configured correctly, but you have to follow my instructions and not do anything on your own.

You cannot simply say, "I've already done that", because you have not done it correctly. You should NOT be in INFRASTRUCTURE mode!

Also, we are probably going to have to reinstall your drivers, and that will again require a secure remote connection, so that it does not take forever.