Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers
16433418

Nbn just connected need to connect printer, Canon pixma 2

Customer Question

nbn just connected need to connect printer
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Canon pixma 2 years old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Macbook apple
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: since NBN connected to house
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: just macbook and iPad connected
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Could you please explain the issue you are having ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
need to be able to print from my macbook and iPad
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

All you need to do is, connect the printer to your WiFi network and it will be recognized by both iPad and Mac. I will send you instructions to do that. But first, I need to know the model number of your Canon printer. What is the model number ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where will i find model number wots it look like
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

It is on the printer itself or on the box. It is like Canon PIXMA MG5500, MG922 etc

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
acdc27560
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

No, that is not the model number of printer. You can see the model number on the front, top or side of the printer. It is like PIXMA MG2400, MG3230, MX220 etc. I need to know the model number, so I can send you correct instructions.

If you can't find it, then it is ok. But tell me this. Does your printer have a color LCD screen ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it does
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
pixma mg5560
Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

There are mainly two ways to connect the printer to your WiFi network. One is by connecting to the WiFi on the printer itself and the other is by using your computer to setup Wireless on your printer.

Method 1 (on Printer itself):

Turn on the Printer.

In the Home screen, click the Setup button.

Select Device Settings

Select LAN Settings (if you see Wireless LAN Setup on home screen, then select it)

Select Wireless LAN Setup > Standard Setup. This will find your WiFI network. Select it and enter the password ***** your WiFi network. This will connect the printer to your WiFi network.

Now you need to setup the printer again on your Mac. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Prints and Scanners. Then click + button to add printer. iPad will recognize it automatically like before.

Method 2 (using your computer):

For this method, you need the USB cable came with your printer or you can use any printers USB cable. It looks like this --> http://driver-pro.com/static/images/article-content/usb-printer-installation-tutorial/usb-printer-cable.jpg

Connect the printer to your Mac with the USB cable (only need to do this temporarily, so we can save WiFi settings to printer from your Mac)

On your Mac, go to this website --> http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0200210302.html

Click Download Now and this will download the Canon IJ Network tool (an app to establish WiFi on printer). So open the downloaded file (name of file is mnt_-mac-4_4_1-ea17_2.dmg) and install it. If you don't see the downloaded mnt_-mac-4_4_1-ea17_2.dmg file, then click on the Finder icon on dock, then click on Go menu and select Downloads. This will bring Downloads folder. Now you see a file named "mnt_-mac-4_4_1-ea17_2.dmg" file there. Double click on it to open. Then install it. After installing, search Canon IJ on Spotlight (searchbox/magnifier search of your Mac at top right). Open it and it will recognize your printer. Make sure the printer is connected to Mac via USB cable. Then save WiFi settings to printer from there.

Once you did that, disconnect USB cable and you need to setup the printer again on your Mac. Go to Apple menu > System Preferences > Prints and Scanners. Then click + button to add printer. iPad will recognize it automatically like before.

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will continue to help you.

Expert:  Ashik replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?