Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have an Epson xp 420. As others have said, it says that I

Customer Question

I have an Epson xp 420. As others have said, it says that I have a paper jam. I don't. I have checked everywhere. I re-installed paper, powered it on/off several times. I press ok after faking an paper jam fix. Then it says to "shut the scanner cover". The cover is closed. It is frustrating
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: under 8 months old
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: this happened last weekend. I haven't been able to fix it. I don't use it that often, just for printing pictures from my pc
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Kris R replied 1 year ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way I can reset the printer altogether?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Kris R replied 1 year ago.

Resetting Control Panel Defaults

If you have a problem with settings on the product control panel, you can reset them to their factory defaults. You can choose which settings to reset or reset them all.

1. Press the home button, if necessary.
  2. Press the left or right arrow button to select Setup and press the OK button. You see this screen:

3. Press the up or down arrow button to select Restore Default Settings and press the OK button. You see this screen:

4. Press the up or down arrow button to select one of these options and press the OK button:

• Network Settings: Resets all network settings.
    • All except Network Settings: Resets all control panel settings, except for network settings.
    • All Settings: Resets all control panel settings.

You see a confirmation screen.
  5. Press the OK button to reset the selected settings.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It won't let me get to the home screen. Now it says, "close the scanner cover".
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I was the original expert on this question and Id like to help you with correct information.

Usually when errors like this happen theres an actual repair or process that needs to be done physically to the machine.

So before we continue, I need to know if you still need help with this issue, or if you no longer need help.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't get it to work.... I've tried everything.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

when you say you have tried everything.. Have you tried these steps.

1. Remove all the ink cartridges, now, with the machine open turn the machine off, turn it back on and watch the ink carriage/printhead. When it makes its sweep left to right when the printer starts, unplug the machine when the printhead has moved out of its "parked " position. This will let you see under where the printhead normally sits. Now, use a bright light and inspect under where the ink cartridges were and under where the printhead was. Do you see any paper, debris, or any parts showing out of place?

2. With the cartridges removed, turn the machine upside down and shake it, do you hear or see anything fall loose?

3. Fold two pieces of paper in half longways, and try to push them slowly through the machine in the normal direction that paper travels, this may knock any hidden debris or paper loose inside the machine.

4. Now, as far as the scanner cover open message.. Let me explain how the machine can sense the scanner cover is open. Either on one of the hinges, or on the latch or protruding plastic pieces where the scanner cover closes there will be a sensor. That sensor could be stuck, or it could have paper or debris not allowing the sensor to close.

Thoroughly inspect each hinge, and any place you see where any plastic pegs would protrude from the top cover into the bottom cover. Inspect every point under the scanner cover to see if you can find where the sensor is. Now, these sensors are sometimes spring loaded pieces of plastic, or plastic "wheels" or gears that are supposed to depress or recede when something hits them. so when it says scanner cover open, there is a sensor that is either not being pressed, or its stuck so that the machine thinks the scanner cover is open even when its not.

If all else fails, reading slowly and thoroughly through this long page will give you a lot of ideas and will help educate you as to how jams and covers are sensed by the machine, with a lot of varied repair steps thrown in.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/153898/Error+says+paper+jam,+but+there+is+not.+What+could+cause+this

If you have any questions at all, I look forward to hearing from you later today. This is definitely an issue that I would like to see resolved, as so many good machines are tossed into the trash over a simple lever or sensor being stuck ( and almost all sensors on that machine are mechanical meaning they can be unstuck once you find them )

Dustin S.