Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have an Epson WF-4630 My problem is that the printer

Customer Question
I have an Epson WF-4630...
I have an Epson WF-4630 My problem is that the printer screen is saying load paper in rear paper feed or remove jammed paper, There is no paper jam and the rear paper feed does not grab the paper to feed it in This all started after we printed on legal sized paper This printer was purchased only a couple months ago. HELP Thanks Cathy
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
9/14/2016
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Try checking all your settings for paper size, and for paper source or paper tray.

If one of them is still set on Legal Size, the printer may be expecting longer paper than the normal or 'Letter' size, still, and thus be signaling a jam that isn't there.

Paper Size settings (and Paper Tray / Paper Source settings) are to be found in three places:

1. sometimes on the printer itself. This is less common.

2. the usual source of trouble is the 'driver settings'. Is your computer Windows PC, or an Apple computer? depending on that, the driver settings are in different places. Let me know on this point, please.

3. of course, the settings in your program, or settings associated with your document, in MS Word.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked paper size and source and they are on letter size and auto source. I have a Windows pc

Is letter size paper loaded in the printer, please?

How long ago were you using Legal size (larger) paper ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
letter size paper is loaded in the front paper tray. We used legal paper a week ago and have not been able to use printer since

Clear the printer's queue of all print jobs, first.

Then, go to

Start - Control Panel - view Devices And Printers

and right-click on your printer's icon there.

Select Properties.

These are the printer's driver settings. Change the Paper Source to Front Tray. Change the Paper Size to Letter or to Auto perhaps if it already is on Letter. (If paper size is on Auto, set it to Letter specifically, on the other hand. Something needs changing, this could well be it.)

Then click on OK to close the Properties and save the changed settings.

Then try a print, see if it works.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did all of the above. Tried to print and pc says printer is offline. Printer screen still says paper jam and load from rear

I'm sorry to hear that. The problem is serious then, apparently.

Can you load paper in the rear tray and get results now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried that and pc screen still says printer is offline and nothing happens at the printer

How did you use legal paper? printing from what program?

Are you printing from the same program now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Printed an online form. Now attempting to print from a word document

Did the paper jam when your printed that legal-size online form?

Where did you load the legal size paper for printing the online form?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No paper jam. Paper was loaded in rear paper guide

Have you turned Off the printer for a prolonged period since the printing from legal paper?

Try turning it Off now, after loading Letter paper, carefully, and according to instructions, in both the rear feed (just two sheets there, of letter paper) and in the Front Tray also.

Reload the front tray, by the way, even though it is loaded now. Slowly, carefully, paper guides snug to the paper stack, the paper stack not too large, only 25 sheets at most.

And two sheets in the rear feed, please.

Then leave the printer, with paper loaded that way, Off for at least 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, check the printer's queue listing on the computer, and clear out any jobs there.

And then, after at least 15 minutes total down time, turn the printer On again. And send a print job from Notepad this time, not from MS Word. MS Word may be sick somehow, so let's just see if a different program - specifically, the simple Notepad application - can send a print job.

Let me know the result - and if it prints, does it print from the rear feed with two sheets only?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I did all that. Originally our printer was turned off for days prior to my contact with you. I just now attempted to print from one note and nothing printed. No on screen message The good news is now the printer us not blinking any lights or giving any error messages on its screen. Should I try to print from word document

Don't try MS Word yet please.

"OneNote"? probably that didn't even send anything to the printer. That's why it didn't react.

Go to

Start

All Programs

Accessories

Notepad

and then type into the Notepad application, several sentences or a paragraph.

Then go in the Notepad application, to

File

then to

Print

then choose your WF4630 printer. (If it's not chosen already.)

Then send that print job to the printer.

What results?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok did that. Pc says communication error. Printer did nothing. I did notice on the print screen pop up it said printer offline

Is the printer turned On?

Is it indicating an offline or an online status?

Go to

Start - Control Panel - Devices and Printers

and right-click on your printer's icon. If it says 'Use Printer Offline' and that is checked, un-check it. If it says, 'Use Printer Online' and that is NOT checked, then check it.

And try a NOTEPAD print again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Printer is on. Pc says it is offline. There is no choice that I can find to use printer offline. Incidentally print screen says fax is in ready status. We have never used fax and don't even have it connected to phone line

Sounds like your printer is 'broken', really.

But, you need to look for either

- an option 'Use Printer Offline' that is enabled ... and Disable it.

or

- an option 'Use Printer Online' this is not enabled... and enable it.

When you go to

view Devices And Printers

in Control Panel

and right-click on the printer's icon, do you see either option?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not an option. Only options are remove device or set as default. It is already set as the default

That's bad news.

How old is your printer? only a couple of months old. It seems to have failed within warranty. Putting in a warranty claim for free repair to Epson US would seem to me to be the best thing you can do... unless you would like to try an uninstall, restart of the computer, and reinstall of the printer drivers. That might just possibly cure the problem - it is a remedy I have often found to cure seemingly 'broken' printers, though not by any means always.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check on warranty repair thanks

I would advise checking on

(800)(###) ###-####/strong>

or else

https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/SuppProductSearch.jsp?UseCookie=yes&find=service

to find a local Epson service center.

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Russell H., Printer and Office Tech