Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I had to replace my WF-7620 recently and am unable to scan

Customer Question
HI, I had to replace...
HI, I had to replace my WF-7620 recently and am unable to scan either from the software or printer menu. Wireless print works fine. I uninstalled all Epson programs twice now. Any suggestions?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: About 3 months its a new WF-7620 all in one.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC Windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The scan feature has operated in the 3 months Ive had the printer
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it. The scanner is recognized in the Epson Scan Setup and tests properly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
9/14/2016
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me whether the new WF-7620 is on a wireless connection - it sounds as if it is.

Please also, on your computer, go to

Start - Control Panel - System and Security - System

and look for the System Type, which should be either 32-bit, or 64-bit.

Let me know, by the Reply To Expert function, and I will advise and instruct you further as to what to do. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Russell, Yes using a wireless connection but also have tried the USB cable. Its a 64-bit system. I also sent a file documenting error messages. Thx.Norm

Thanks, ***** ***** examining that file...

That's a somewhat generic error message.

Tell me, can you do a photocopy from the Epson printer, using only the printer's own controls? does the photocopy come out OK?

That's just to make sure the scanning hardware in the Epson, is working, basically.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can copy files sent both from the PC as well directly from the printer platen.

In other words, you can produce a photocopy from the printer's scanner, a photocopy of an original document in hard copy, placed face-down on the glass sheet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's correct.
On the printer scan menu, selecting computer my options are USB or EPSON3CDCF5, which is the printer name; if I use this I get the error message at the end of the file that I sent you. Maybe I just need to specify the printer somehow?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I meant specify the PC.

If you are scanning wireless, you may need to adjust your firewall software on your PC for the scanning to be allowed.

If using USB, that does not apply of course. Did you try the printer with a USB connection, install all the drivers *for* a USB connection (rather different drivers), then use those drivers to print from the PC to be sure they were working, then select USB on the printer, then try scanning with an Epson-approved scanning application program ?

If so, with what result?

If not, do you need detailed instructions?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Duering the install, I did indicate that I wanted the firewall to allow Epson communication. Not sure whether I need to do anything else.
Re the USB question, the install required a temporary USB connection and I believe that all drivers on the disc were installed. Is there a way to confirm?

If you didn't reinstall for a USB connection, then you may not have installed correctly, with a temporary USB connection.

Would you be willing to try scanning through a USB connection?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure. You're suggesting going through the install process again and select USB rather than wireless? I understand that the printer can operate in both modes concurrently.

I suggest this, first, to clear out all possible software confabulations:

Start - Control Panel - view Devices and Printers

click once on your icon for your printer.

Delete (with Del key) that icon for your printer.

(IF any other icons for your printer, duplicates, whatever, are there also, select each one individually, and Del it individually too.)

Restart your computer.

Then after that, configure for use of a permanent USB connection.

If after that, scanning fails identically, but printing (over USB connection) works, let me know how it turns out, please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, thx.

If you get results, let me know what they are in due course, please. I want to see this problem to a good finish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I followed the instructions above and outcome is as you describe. I can print but get same response when I try to scan from the software. If I try to scan from the printer menu, I get the following message: "The selected device is read-only. Select another device in which to save the files".

Is the USB cable still hooked up?

If so, you have a defective printer - esp. if the scanning has never worked.

(But a last-minute check: where, from what source, did you install the USB function drivers for this printer model?)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
still hooked up. I selected USB install and drivers were from disc that came with the printer. I still have my old printer for which the scan function worked. How about if I try to reinstall it and see if I can get scan to function?

Sounds good - try the new printer, by all means.

(Since, even if it is the same model, it is a different device by device ID, a networked install would have to be re-done from scratch. A USB reinstall might actually not be needed - USB device IDs are, I think, absent or a lot less specific, so the system might not be able to tell that you swapped USB printers on it, so long as they are the same model.)

But the new printer, is probably a failure, for scanning. Let me know the result of putting the old printer back to work as a scanner at least. (Perhaps, since the new printer photocopies OK, you could use the old one as a scanner-only device, and the new one for printing photocopying and even faxing ? if it works that way but not for scanning.)

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks.

John, Computer Science Engineer