Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I cannot connect my canon mg2950 with my mac, canon is 5

Customer Question
i cannot connect my canon...
i cannot connect my canon mg2950 with my mac
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: canon is 5 months old and i am trying to install it for the first time
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Mac
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: OS X Yosemite
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i just wish to know what to do on my mac and my printer to get the two connected
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2016
Technician: Ashik, Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have the USB cable came with the printer ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i need to connect via wireless

It is easy to setup Wireless on this printer via USB cable. Since you don't have USB cable, we need to setup it via WPS. Does your router has a WPS button ? It looks like a button with a two curved arrows or WPS written on it or has a wireless icon

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
is the router on my computer or on the printer?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Printer has the option of wireless
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it has this button

Neither. It is a device installed by your internet service provider (a small box)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i do not have a US number and hence cannot connect securely

I can connect securely and fix it from here without US number. But first I need to know whether your router has a WPS button. Can you check it ?

Router (or modem) is the small box installed by your ISP (internet service provider)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no it does not

Then you need to get the USB cable (to setup wireless on it). Are you sure don't have it ? Most printers comes with it. It looks like this --> http://driver-pro.com/static/images/article-content/usb-printer-installation-tutorial/usb-printer-cable.jpg

Let me know if you don't have the cable

You need to buy the printer USB cable to setup wireless on it. Printer USB cables are cheap and can be get for less than $5.

When you get it, connect the printer to your Mac and follow the steps below to setup the printer on your Mac.

Download and install the printer driver from here --> http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/4/0100006054/04/mac-mg2900-1_3-mcd.dmg

Open the downloaded file and follow the onscreen instructions to install the printer drive and software.

To make it wireless, you need to download this utility, Canon IJ Network Tool --> http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/0200210302.html

(After downloading it, open the downloaded file and install it. After installing, go to Applications folder and open Canon > IJ Network tool)

Canon IJ Network tool will allow you to save wireless settings to your printer. Once the wireless settings are saved, go to Apple > System Preferences >Printers and Scanners. Now, just click the + button and add your printer (you may see USB and Bonjour Multifunction - so select Bonjour multi function)

If you have any difficulty installing it, please let me know and I will continue to help you

Ashik, Technician