Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

I have a cannon Imageclass D1320 and it is connected to a

Customer Question

I have a cannon Imageclass D1320 and it is connected to a network where there are two other computers and mine. I can print to the printer, but when I go to the scan option on the printer, it only sees the other two computers, not mine.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The scan driver may need to be installed properly, or the failure to scan may be owing to the program you tried to use.

Please tell me what computer you are trying to get the ImageClass printer to scan to. (In terms of Windows version, or MAC OS X version if it is an Apple computer.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have windows 8
the printer prints from my computer but my computer does not show up on the scan window of the printer

What is the 'scan window' please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On the printer, when you select "scan" it opens a window and lets you select what computer you want to scan to... the other two computers are listed, mine is not,

Is your computer on a different sub-net or on a different router box, from the other two computers?

Also, has the scanning function worked with this Windows 8 computer before this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Same router box but one of the other computers connects to the network wireless, the other is hard wired to the network just like me
, yes it has worked before

OK.

Have you updated the Windows version on your computer, or installed new security software on it?

Please, also, please go to

Control Panel

System and Security

System

and let me know what the System Type listed there is,

32-bit, or 64-bit ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
64 bit
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it updates automatically

OK.

Check whether your security software needs to be disabled (Firewall, not Anti-virus, which cannot obstruct the process in the fashion you have described so far... firewall can block a network function like a network scanner....) ... for the scanning function to be recognized and listed in the printer's scanner window.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no the security firewall isn't enabled
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you still there?

I'm sorry - somehow I wasn't apprised of your first response by the system.

I regret that I have run out of ideas, and must Opt Out, opening the case to other Experts.

(Be sure to re-enable your software firewall on the computer that is not showing up. Such security is needed.)

Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

You will need to uninstall and reinstall your printer software as follows:

You need to first delete the print server icons(s) in Control Panel > Printers, then uninstall the drivers in Control Panel > Programs. Then restart your computer and return to this session using the link in your notification emails. Then connect your printer to your wifi network using the Network menu on the printer control panel, and finally download and install the latest printer drivers from the official website.

I can help you with this. We can work interactively. Please let me know when you are ready to proceed.