Hi there. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem with your printer. I will do my best to help you with it.
Your Canon printer actually has a built-in utility for cleaning the paper feeder which is the mechanism that picks the paper up and rolls it into the printer. Even though you said that your printer is relatively new, the roller could have picked up dust from the paper that was fed through.
Here are the steps to run the utility.
Cleaning the Paper Feed Roller
If the paper feed roller is dirty or dusty, paper may feed properly.
In this case, clean the paper feed roller. Cleaning will wear out the paper feed roller, so perform this only when necessary.
You need to prepare: three sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper
Make sure that the power is turned on and remove any paper from the front tray.
Open the paper output tray.
Clean the paper feed roller without paper.
(1) Press the Setup button.
The Setup menu screen will appear.
(2) Use the left or right arrow keys on the printer to select Maintenance, then press the OK button.
(3) Use the left or right arrow keys on the printer to select Roller cleaning, then press the OK button.
The paper feed roller will rotate as it is cleaned.
Clean the paper feed roller with paper.
(1) Make sure that the paper feed roller has stopped rotating, close the paper output tray, then load three or more sheets of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper in the front tray.
(2) Open the output tray extension, open the paper output tray, then extend the paper output support.
(3) Make sure that Roller cleaning is selected, then press the OK button.
The machine starts cleaning. The cleaning will be complete when the paper is ejected.