Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

B200 error on Canon MP620 printer, No - has not done this

Customer Question
B200 error on Canon MP620...
B200 error on Canon MP620 printer
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: No - has not done this before. It is several years old, not sure how many.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC - Windows 7
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Don't remember, just trying to print a document.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything else.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
9/5/2016
Technician: Ashik, Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

TheB200 error indicates that "Print head Temperature exceeded" or"Cartridge failure". This happens when you were printing, either one or more of the print head ink wells ran out of ink and the printing continued.Thus the printing without ink in the wells would overheat the print head nozzles and is potentially burned out. The head can also burn out even if the inks are full. 90% of the times, the error indicates an hardware issue.

Turn off the printer for 20 minutes and also disconnect it from power.

If the error is not going away after turning it off for 20 minutes, then there is the possibility that you have already burnt out the head. However, follow the steps below and see if it works

Method 1 :

• Turn off the printer and unplug it. Wait 1 minute.
  • Open the cover and turn on the printer
  • Wait for print carriage to start moving to the left and let it go past half way.
  • Before print carriage reaches left hand side (but after going halfway across) shut the cover immediately.
  • Leave the Printer turned on. This should bypass the error unless the head is completely failed

(Method 1 is usually a temporary fix)

Method 2 :

1. Open the cover and remove all the ink cartridges and also remove the print head (if removable).

2. Turn off the printer and unplug the power cable. Then clean the print head thoroughly with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab. Dry it with a clean and soft paper.

3. Also clean the print head-to-printer connectors (anything metal-looking) with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Dry it for 30 minutes.

4. Turn on the printer, put the print head back in the printer and insert the cartridges back.

After that turn off the printer for 5 minutes and also unplug it. This will reset the firmware which rule out software issues if any.

If you have another cartridge there, then install it and check it.

If it still not working, then you have to send it back to Canon for replacement of head and components. I'm really sorry, this is something that we can't fix online if the above steps doesn't work for you. If the printer is more than2 years old, then it is not worth to replace the head and components. You should get a new printer because it has more life for head and other components than current printer and you will get a fresh warranty where repairing/replacing existing components doesn't give that.

I'm really sorry if my solutions doesn't work. Once the head is failed, the chance of fixing it is slim to none. It is one of the wear items on printer than fails after certain degree of use. It is also a costly part where its replacement may cost up to a price of a new current generation printer.

If you would like to replace the head yourself, please let me know and I will find the head and its price online. So you can replace it for cheaper cost than from fixing it from store. I found this on eBay.com -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Printhead-Printer-Print-Head-QY6-0073-for-Canon-IP3600-MP540-MP550-MP620-MX860-/112043070902?hash=item1a164995b6:g:7wgAAOSwbYZXdblB

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are not satisfied with my answer, please don't rate me bad or poor. You don't have to rate anything if you are not satisfied and ignore the rating request.

Ashik, Technician