John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a xerox docucolor 242. I replaced the black drum and

Customer Question

I have a xerox docucolor 242. I replaced the black drum and now there is no network connection.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Xerox is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I've had it for 3 years, it is probably 6-8 years old. Model 242
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: Windows. I've been using 2 computers, one Vista and one Windows 7.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I had fault error 091-320 and replaced the black colortron. Printer works, but no network
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Where do you detect the lack of network connection?

If at the PC end, try restarting the PC.

If at the printer end, try re-seating the network cable, at both ends.

Then see how the network connection and status goes.

Let me know, by using the Reply To Expert function, how it turns out and what you observe, please.

And I will advise you further, as needed. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have restarted the network, computers and printer. I have unplugged all cables and power and restarted everything. I can see the printer in both computers, but when I go to connect it says it doesn't see the IP address. At the printer, the Web Applications button is not highlighted/lit to be able to chose it from on the main screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I suspect from all that you have described, that the printer's IP address has changed.

Was the router restartd at some time, *before* the problem happened? if so, that makes it more likely.

Try printing off a Network Configuration Page (to show the printer's IP address as currently set), or otherwise get its currently set IP Address.

And on your computer, go to

Command Prompt

and then enter this

ipconfig

and press the RETURN or the ENTER key, once. That should produce results showing the

Default Gateway

IP Address information, which has to relate to the printer's IP Address, in order for it to be usable. (That will also show the computer's IP address, which might be significant, so note it also, please.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know how to go into the computer that houses the fiery. There isn't a monitor or keyboard or anything other than the screen to run the printer.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then 'the computer' would mean the (presumably Windows) computer from which you send print jobs to the Xerox printer in question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Media disconnected is what it says after typing in ipconfig
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then the computer isn't connected to the network. Try connecting it to the network (it doesn't even have to be connected to internet, just the local network that it prints through) and try

ipconfig

again. Let me know the result, please. (Could this be why it wouldn't print to the printer?? I doubt it's that simple...)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The computer is connected to the internet and is networked with another computer. I can go on the internet and share between the two computers.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. Do the

ipconfig

on that computer, and look lower down in the listings that the command will get, for the Default Gateway listed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The entire list says Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection *50 Media State Media disconnected Connection specific DNS Suffix
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

How is the computer connected to the local network?

By a wire, or by a wireless adapter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wireless
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Then you may need to reconnect your computer to your printer.

Somehow the printer's connection qualities were probably reset. You would be well advised to re-do the setup on the computer to print to the Xerox printer... i.e. do a total uninstall of the printer on the computer, then restart your computer, then reinstall the Xerox printer on the computer, to refresh the wireless printer connection.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The printer is showing no signs of internet connection. I can't print the configuration page or use the web services button. I don't know how to find it's ip address. Is this a computer problem or a printer problem?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

It might be a printer problem, yes.

Can you even do a photocopy from the Xerox in question? is it even that operational?