John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

The problem I am reading about on this web page - my HP PSC

Customer Question

The problem I am reading about on this web page - my HP PSC 2410 has all 4 of its lights constantly flashing and no matter I do (including removing a perfectly good remanufactured black ink cartridge I installed and replacing it with a real HP one), I cannot get the lights to stop flashing. I disconnected the power cord as suggested in a post at the HP website, reconnected, nothing. The popups HP shows from my system do not tell me how to fix it. I don't know what else I can do but I'll listen to anything you suggest. Thank you, ***** ***** offering to help.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is an HP PSC 2410 Photosmart All-in-One printer/fax/scanner/copier. I don't know how old it is. I bought it a few months ago at a local thrift shop and had no issues until the cartridge then in was running low on ink (which it was) and urged me to replace it. If I had to guess its age, my guess is about 10 years.
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: I think it's an XP Windows Professional Edition PC.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Well, it's been about 2-3 weeks now. By some miracle after playing with trying to fix it about a week and a half ago, I thought I had it working as the lights were off (except the ON button). I printed a document and it worked. Then afterwards it acted up again. I then put my cartridge with little ink back in and it worked but the ink went dry. I then returned to putting my remanufactured cartridge in and the all lights flashing resumed. I then got an HP cartridge, put it in, no luck, all lights flashed.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it, can't think of anything else offhand.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Hey there, i'm Tim. interesting problem, and an old printer. So you replaced the ink with factory ink, and all of the lights are still on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Correct.
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

I don't think the refilled ink caused any problems, and I assume you have unplugged it etc....?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had no idea I was going to go thru all this. For less than $39, I can get a new printer on eBay. That's crazy. Plus paying monthly fees for printer insurance, sorta speak. Uh uh. I'm sending this off and then disconnecting. If I can't find an answer on my own, then I'll order a new one. Bye!
Expert:  Tim replied 11 months ago.

Well, printers do not normally last more than two years, its a wounder this one even turned on, i'd advise buying a new one....