Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I just got a new Epson WF-3620 for my move-in to the dorms.

Customer Question
At home I had no...
I just got a new Epson WF-3620 for my move-in to the dorms. At home I had no real problem connecting my printer to the wifi or my computer and could print without hassle. Unfortunately, now that I have moved in I am unable to print from the printer. It claims to be connected to the wireless, but whenever I go to print from the printer (network) It just waits for a bit and then sends me an error message. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
8/21/2016
Technician: Ashik, Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you using an Apple Mac or Windows PC ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Windows
I'm using a dell inspiron 15

What version of Windows ? 7,8,8.1 or 10 ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
10

I'm typing the answer. Will send in a few minutes.

We may need to re-run the printer setup, so it will be registered on computer with new network. But try this first. Press Windows and R keys and this will bring Run. Type control printers and press enter.

This will bring Printers and Devices screen. Right click on your printer and select Remove Device. Do for all entries of your printer.

Then click Add Printer there and does it recognize your printer ? If so, add it and it will added with new network configuration.

If that didn't work, then you have to re-run the printer setup file again (and setup it as like a brand new printer). I will send you instructions for this. But try the above and let me know the results please.

Go to this website --> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=232591&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_W_10-64

Then download the "Drivers and Utilities Combo Package" (Click Download button to download it).

After downloading it, open the file and run the setup as new (just like how you installed it first time). This will allow you to connect the printer with updated network. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Waiting for printer to boot up. will update you when it is fully started

Thanks. Good luck

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
only printer identified is an Epson xp-430. That is not my printer correct?

Sorry, ignore that above message. Close that screen.

Click Disk Utility. Run First Aid and let me know what it returns

Ignore the above message please

Correct. That is not your printer. Is Epson showing under Printers and Devices ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not currently. It was but I removed it as suggested

Ok, now click Add Printer button at top bar (under Menu bar) and does it recognize your printer ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no my printer is not listed

Lets add it by running the printer software. Go to this website --> http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=232591&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_W_10-64

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
failed to download

Try downloading from here --> https://ftp.epson.com/drivers/epson15400.exe

Or do you have the printer's diskc ? That will also work

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have the disc it is back at home and the second download also failed

That is an official link. Not sure why it is failing. I tested it and I can download. Can you try from another browser like Chrome or Firefox ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try launching on other browsers

Ok let me know. After opening the downloaded setup file, make sure you choose the option to setup the printer on Wireless using temporary USB method. This is best way to save the wireless configuration permanently on the printer (directly from computer)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
successful download. Running rn

After opening the downloaded setup file, make sure you choose the option to setup the printer on Wireless using temporary USB method. This is best way to save the wireless configuration permanently on the printer (directly from computer)

If that didn't work, then I want you to reset the settings of printer and then run the printer setup file again

1. Press the home button
  2. Select Setup.
  3. Scroll down and select System Administration. ...
  4. Scroll down and select Restore Default Settings. ...
  5. Select WiFi/Network Settings
  6. Select Yes to reset

Let me know how it goes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It restarted the computer immediately after download and I can nolonger find the program. should I reinstall?

That is strange. Download and run it again

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
installation almost finished

Remember to setup Wireless connection using temporary USB option. For this, you need the USB cable came with your printer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll have to apologize again we just got moved in and did not bring everything the cable is unavailable

Is there any way to get one ? You can get this for less than $5 from any local store. It looks like this- -> http://driver-pro.com/static/images/article-content/usb-printer-installation-tutorial/usb-printer-cable.jpg

If not, then do the following please.

1. Press the home button
  2. Select Setup.
  5. Select WiFi/Network Settings
  6. Select Yes to reset

After resetting, connect it to your WiFi network manually from Settings. Then select Wireless Connection on the Printer setup screen on your computer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I could attempt to get a cord but for the moment I will try the second method

It is recommended to setup wireless using cord because this way your computer can assign the IP address and settings correctly on the printer and then register its location.

Try the second method and let me know

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unable to locate printer. I agree that the wired method may be the only one that will work. I am working toward borrow a cable from someone in the dorm

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have gotten a cable. Now trying primary method

Select Wirelss Setup, select the Temporary USB method and use it to store the WiFi settings on the printer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

Keep me updated please

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
good lord its been "connecting to my printer" for about 10 minutes now

It shouldn't take that much time. Did you select Temporary USB method ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
claims my printer has been detected but doesn't seem to want to connect

Did you select Temporary USB method ?

Disconnect it and connect it to different USB port. Then try again.

One more thing. Do you know the specs of the WiFi network ? Like the Ghz, wireless mode (like N, G, AC etc) and security type ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not but I'm sure I could find them for you. Where would I look for these specs?

Those are in the router configuration window. The reason I'm asking is, some printers doesn't work with older security type or different Ghz.

What is the mode and make of your router ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
its through the dorm complex so I have no idea. I could go ask an RA if I could check but I doubt they could direct me to the tech room

Are you connecting it to a public WiFi and not your own network ?

Some routers especially public networks requires some kind of extra authentication which prevents devices like printers, camera etc from being connected. I believe this is the issue you are having.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have an account with the wifi but I don't know how to add my printer to that account

Printers are not designed to connect those kind of networks. Now I understand why the printer is not working because it requires extra authentication. I'm afraid you have to use wired method here. Let me know do some research and find a way to connect to these networks

If your dorm's WiFi network requires extra authentication like an account ID and password (after enting WiFi password) or additional key/pin or pre-registration, then you may not be able to connect your printer to it because that network is mainly designed for internet and not networking devices like printers and PC. Firewalls also prevent devices like printers from connecting. That is why your printer failing to connect to that WiFi network both from PC and from itself.

Is there anyone there who was able to successfully connect their printer ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The student I borrowed the cable from claims to have successfully connected his printer

Sorry for the delay. What is the model of his printer ?

Are you sure he connected to the dorm's WiF network and not to any extenders or other network ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has an Hp envy

Most of all printers are not capable of connecting to network that require extra authentication. Can you ask the network admin about the security type, firewall etc of that network ?

Ashik, Technician