Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My canon copier PC745 is showing a symbol checkmark8, red

Customer Question
background, white lettering. think that...
My canon copier PC745 is showing a symbol checkmark8, red background, white lettering. think that means paper jam but there is no paper jam. Won't copy anything
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: not before. no clue how old it is
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none. tell me what to try
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
8/20/2016
Technician: Russell H., Printer and Office Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Printer and Office Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That symbol does indeed mean 'Paper Jam' , but can also mean 'Misfeed', which more generally applies to e.g. the paper tray not being properly inserted, so that the paper feed rollers cannot grab the top sheet of paper properly.

When you try to do a copy, do you hear rollers working, trying to feed paper?

Or does the Misfeed/Jam light come on the instant you turn On the copier?

Try turning it Off for 5 minutes, then turning it On, and seeing if that is the case.

Let me know, by the Reply To Expert function, and I will advise you further. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No roller sounds

Try turning it Off for 5 minutes, and seeing if the Misfeed/Jam light comes on the instant you turn On the copier.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it immediately comes on

When you last removed a paper jam from the copier, was it stuck firmly, or was it easy to remove, without pulling nor tearing the paper much?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No clue. I don't think there has ever been a paper jam

Remove the paper stack from the paper tray, look into the copier. See if there is any part out of place.

Press the Clear button on the copier, after replacing the paper tray/paper stack properly. Make sure the paper tray is correctly inserted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same response

One source says this:

Open the copier, hinges to the right.

Place you right hand on the bottom piece of copier with fingers sticking into the copier, hinged to the right.

Just about at the length of your fingers look for a paper detect flapper in the base of the copier.

There is a 90 degree stop that is part of the plastic works of the base of the copier.

Often this flag jumps over this 90 degree stop.

It is caused by pulling the paper tray out too fast. Correcting it may fix the problem.

This is the flag piece in question, in a view as if it were removed from the machine:

http://www.precisionroller.com/img/J8482.jpg

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've found the piece. I think
What am I to do with it?

Make sure it has not been malpositioned. If in the wrong position, as if deflected upward from the path the paper takes by the presence of a sheet of paper, it could be the cause of the misfeed error that persists on your copier.

Or simply: swing it so it is downward, I think.

I see. I don't think that is the problem, though. It looks normal enough.

Some other paper presence sensor, in the path the paper takes through the copier, might be in the wrong position, or broken off, etc.

Try re-seating the toner cartridge. Take it out briefly and put it back in properly, close up the machine, press CLEAR or STOP (whichever button it is.)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not happening. Same response
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
May just need to toss the whole thing. Ugh

Then the copier may need a service call. This is the sort of problem that usually requires that.

Such Canon personal copiers are well made and it might be worth the effort and expense, to keep it going.

John, Computer Science Engineer