Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I get a B200 error on my Canon MG5220. Any fix?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
8/16/2016
Technician: Ashik, Technician replied 1 year ago
Ashik, Technician

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

The B200 error indicates that "Print head Temperature exceeded" or "Cartridge failure". This happens when you were printing, either one or more of the print head ink wells ran out of ink and the printing continued. Thus the printing without ink in the wells would overheat the print head nozzles and is potentially burned out. The head can also burn out even if the inks are full.90% of the times, the error indicates an hardware issue.

Turn off the printer for 20 minutes and also disconnect it from power.

If the error is not going away after turning it off for 20 minutes, then there is the possibility that you have already burnt out the head. However, follow the steps below and see if it works

1. Open the cover and remove all the ink cartridges and also remove the print head (if removable).

2. Turn off the printer and unplug the power cable. Then clean the print head thoroughly with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.Dry it with a clean and soft paper.

3. Also clean the print head-to-printer connectors (anything metal-looking) with rubbing alcohol and q-tips. Dry it for 30 minutes.

4. Turn on the printer, put the print head back in the printer and insert the cartridges back.

After that turn off the printer for 5 minutes and also unplug it. This will reset the firmware which rule out software issues if any.

If you have another cartridge there, then install it and check it.

If it still not working, then you have to send it back to Canon for replacement of head and components. I'm really sorry, this is something that we can't fix online if the above steps doesn't work for you. If the printer is more than 2 years old, then it is not worth to replace the head and components. You should get anew printer because it has more life for head and other components than current printer and you will get a fresh warranty where repairing/replacing existing components doesn't give that.

I'm really sorry if my solutions doesn't work. Once the head is failed, the chance of fixing it is slim to none. It is one of the wear items on printer than fails after certain degree of use. It is also a costly part where its replacement may cost up to a price of a new current generation printer.

If you would like to replace the head yourself, please let me know and I will find the head and its price online. So you can order it and replace it for cheaper cost than from fixing it from store.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

If you are not satisfied with my answer, please don't rate me bad or poor. You don't have to rate anything if you are not satisfied and ignore the rating request.

Ashik, Technician