John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My computer has decided it 'cannot communicate' with my

Customer Question

My computer has decided it 'cannot communicate' with my Canon MX720 scanner - "Error -9923'
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's been doing this regularly but not consistently for 2 - 3 months. The Canon is @ 2 years old.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Reinstalling, rebooting. To compound the frustration, my wife's computer has the same issue -sometimes at the same time, other times one or other of us can access the scanner perfectly well.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: It's a Canon MX726
Category: Printers
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today. May I ask how the scanner is connected to your system? (usb, wifi, network, etc)

I look forward to your response.

Thank you,
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wi-fi. Thanks Jason.

Can any computer on your network print to the printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not consistently. And the problem isn't printing - it's scanning. Both computers get the same error message @ 75% of the time we try to scan.

Thank you for the update. May I start a secure remote assistance session with you so that I can better help you resolve this problem? When the remote session begins, a chat window will appear that we can use to communicate with each other.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason, I believe I've just paid $37 - now I'm being asked for $41. All I wanted was an answer - when I searched online suddenly your company somehow initiated a chat. Can I not just get an answer through the communication we've got going now, please?

Yes, we can ignore the remote session offer. That is put up automatically because the majority of people prefer that one of us just remote in and fix the problem. We can continue here chatting.

So the problem that you are experiencing with the scanner is experienced on all computers that you attempt to scan from?

Which version of Windows or Mac OS are you running on the computers?

When is the last time that you turned the wireless modem/router and the printer off and on? First off, let's do that. Turn the modem/router and the printer off, turn them back on, wait 5 minutes, and attempt to make another scan. Was there any change?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there, Jason?

Yes, I am here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already responded to this message 20 minutes ago. Just ignore the offers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OS X El Capitan 10.11.5. It happens on both Macs, but not all the time, and not to any discernible pattern. Turning things off now. Okay - I'll talk to you in 5 minutes... Thanks.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same result. "An error occurred while communicating with the scanner - 9923".

ok. Without remoting in, there is not much else I can do from my end. I will opt out of the question now and allow someone else to work with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks Jason.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perhaps if someone explained how I can start a "remote assistance" session without hitting Accept Offer and making another payment...?
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

It is not uncommon for wireless all-in-one printers to lose the scanner connection from time to time. The remedy is to reinstall the printer drivers. I can show you how to do it on your computer, so that you will know how to fix the problem on your wife's computer, and you will be able to fix the problem whenever it occurs in the future.