John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I set up a homegroup network, and now I can't use the

Customer Question

I set up a homegroup network, and now I can't use the scanner.........
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is the make and model of your printer?

What is your computer operating system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
canon mg 2920
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I about to get scammed????????????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there??????????
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 7

I am available now to assist you in resolving your question.

Is your printer connected wirelessly to your local area network?

If your printer is connected wirelessly to your network, it is common for an all-in-one printer to drop the scanner connection while the printer remains connected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 2 computers that I put on a home group network. Both are connected by lan cables. I keep getting messages that I don't have permission to use certain things. I need to contact my administrator???????? I am my administrator. How can I give myself permission to use things like "my documents" that I have accessed freely for years?

How is your printer connected to your network?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Directly to the computer I am typing from with USB. I am not only having trouble getting permission to use the scanner, I am having trouble accessing my documents.

Do you have more than one account on each computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so. I went to switch user and I was the only one on there. The other computer does not have another user.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be that this computer is on Windows 7 and the other one is on W 10

Are you sure that you are being denied permission to access My Documents on the same computer that you are using and not on the other computer?

I have the same question for the scanner.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on the computer that the files are in. This is really messed up. I am on the same computer that the printer is connected to.. I'm bout to uninstall this home group network connection.

The home group has nothing to do with this problem, since all the symptoms are occurring on one computer that is connected by usb cable to your all-in-one printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It only started doing this since I hooked up the network group

Okay. Good point. It is not logical, but I agree with you now.

How are you logging in to the Windows 10 computer? PIN or Password?

How are you logging in to the Windows 7 computer? PIN or Password?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to go. How much is the charge? Password ***** both

You are only charged when you accept the answer by giving a rating. Since I have not solved your problem, there is no charge (and no rating).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well thank you Sir. I am not familiar with these services. Maybe we can discuss it another time, but for now I have to go.Thank you for your help. We can try this again later..... Bob S

I have been researching your issue, and I have discovered that the HomeGroup is compatible across Windows 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. To join a homegroup every computer must be running the IPv6 network protocol. If you need help setting this up, please let me know.