John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

Red light and paper light are on, but there is paper in the

Customer Question

red light and paper light are on, but there is paper in the tray.
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: brother hl5370dw
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: pc
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it had been out of paper for several days, but before that it was operating all right.
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me what 'red light' is On, on your Brother HL-series laser printer ?

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

(You can use the Reply To Expert function, to let me know, please.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
According to the explanation on the printer, when the red and yellow light are on it means there is a paper jam. But after looking at the printer inside there is no paper jam.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Try turning the printer Off for 10 minutes (or longer).

Also, try taking out the toner cartridge/drum assembly, then seating them back into their place, and closing up the printer completely.

Examine the path the paper takes through the printer, with a flashlight if needed at all. Make sure there is not even a small scrap of paper in the printer - such small scraps, often overlooked, can disable a printer persistently, until they are removed.

Let me know what happens, what you find, what results, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

OK. I await your response as to any results.