Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Message --problem with printhead.....what should I do?/

Customer Question
message --problem with printhead.....what should I do?/
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
8/5/2016
Technician: Jennifer French, Technician replied 1 year ago
Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician

Good morning, Jerry! My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you this morning!

I understand that you are having issues with the printhead on your printer? Are you getting any type of error? Is it able to print a little or not at all? I want to make sure I send us both on the right path!

Have you recently changed the ink?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no recent ink change
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
updated payment info

There is no need to do remote assistance yet. I believe you may be able to resolve this through my instruction. This may be long, so just do each step instead of trying to read it all at once.

First try to reset the printer. In some cases, a printer reset might fix this.

Turn the printer on.
Wait until the printer is quiet and stops moving.
With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
Wait at least 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

If that doesn't work, try removing the ink cartridges.

Open the ink cartridge door.
Wait until the carriage stops moving before you proceed.
To remove the ink cartridge, press the tab on the front of the ink cartridge to release it, and then remove it.
If an orange tab is attached to any ink cartridge, remove it.
Place the ink cartridges on a clean piece of paper upside-down with the ink opening pointing up.
Close the ink cartridge access door.
Check the printer control panel for any error messages.

If the printer displays an Ink System Failure message on the control panel, skip to the step to update the printer firmware.

If the message is to replace one of the colored or black ink cartridge, continue to the next step.

Cleaning the ink cartridge contacts and vents, and then reinstalling the ink cartridges one at a time can help determine if a specific ink cartridge is causing the issue.

Gather the following materials:
A pin to clean any clogged vents
A clean, lint-free cloth
A clean, dry cotton swab
Distilled or bottled water
Examine the vent area located on top of the ink cartridge, next to the HP logo.
If any of the ink cartridges have clogged vents, use a pin to clean the vents.
Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free cloth to wipe any accumulated ink and debris on the copper-colored contact on the ink cartridge.
Be careful to wipe only the ink cartridge contacts. Do not smear any ink or debris elsewhere on the ink cartridge.
Wipe the contact with a dry, lint-free cloth before proceeding to the next step.

Repeat the steps to clean each ink cartridge contact.
Use a fresh, lightly dampened, lint-free swab to wipe any accumulated ink and debris on the copper-colored contact on the printhead.
Wipe the contact with a dry, lint-free swab before you proceed to the next step.
Carefully reinsert each of the ink cartridges into its slot, and then push the ink cartridge down and forward until it snaps into place.
Make sure each colored dot on the ink cartridge label matches the colored dot on the carriage.
Run your finger along the top of the ink cartridges to make sure none of them protrude.
If any ink cartridges protrude, press down firmly until each ink cartridge snaps into place.
Close the ink cartridge access door.
Check the printer control panel display for the error message.
If the message is to Replace Ink Cartridge, remove the specified ink cartridge(s) and clean the copper-colored contact again, and then reinsert the ink cartridge(s).

If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

The error might occur if the printer firmware is outdated. Download the firmware update from the HP website, and then install it on your printer.

Turn on the printer.
If your printer is connected to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.
Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads by clicking HERE.
If prompted, select a method to identify your printer model, and then follow the on-screen instructions to go to the download page.
Click Firmware, and then click Download.
Use the HP Download and Install Assistant for a guided firmware download and installation, or select Download only to manually open or run the driver file through your Internet browser’s download tools
.

If the previous steps did not resolve the issue, then you probably need to just have the unit serviced, but honestly, it may be more cost-efficient at this point to replace the unit.

If the previous steps did not resolve your issue, PLEASE reply and I will get back with you as soon as possible for further assistance if needed.

If my answer has been informative and helpful, please rate my answer with at least 3 stars so that I may receive credit so that I may keep helping wonderful customers like you!

Thank you for using Just Answer and have a good evening.

Jennie

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no luck ...same message problem with print head.....we purchased this device 6/19/2015-----great quality...

I am at a loss as to what else to do. I will opt out and give another expert a go at it at no further cost to you. Thank you! Stand by.

Technician: Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Unfortunately your printer model does not have a replaceable printhead. And on top of that you are past the 1 year warranty HP offers on the machine. You could try calling them and asking if they can replace the printhead since it failed so soon after warranty, but almost certainly they will say no.

Most likely its time to replace the printer itself. What I would recommend is buying through amazon, and choosing the Canon MX 922. Here's why, the printer performs well and is priced under 100$. It has a removable / replaceable printhead so that you can easily repair the machine. Also, for 7$ extra amazon offers a 3 year replacement plan. So that means you have at least 3 years to use the machine and if it breaks, you get it replaced for free . http://amzn.to/2aQAMjM

The MX 922 is fully wireless and supports mobile printing as well. You wont be disappointed.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Hello again, I see you viewed my last reply but never responded. Did you still need help with this issue?

Please respond when you can so we can mark this issue as resolved or continue working on the problem.

Dustin S

Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist