Jennifer French
Jennifer French, Technician
Experience:  Owner at Down Home Technical Solutions
95132829

After changing toner when printing it makes a clicking sound

Customer Question

after changing toner when printing it makes a clicking sound brother hl2040
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model HL20 age maybe 10yrs
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: told to reset
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: that only
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
prefer email
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jennifer French replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

When you hear the grinding or clicking noise, it means that usually something is out of place inside the printer or something is wrong with the drum or toner cartridges. Try this if you can:

1. Turn off the machine by the power switch, or unplug.

2. Open the front cover.

3. Remove the drum and toner assembly by pulling on the handle in the middle of the drum and toner assembly.

4. Close the front cover and power the machine back on. Wait for the machine to initialize.

If the grinding is still happening, then the machine needs to be serviced.

If the grinding or clicking noise does not occur when the drum and toner assembly are removed, continue with the next step.

5. Remove the toner cartridge from the drum unit by holding down the green lock lever on the right side and then lift the toner cartridge off of the drum unit.

6. Power off the machine and open the front cover.

7. Install the drum unit without the toner cartridge in it.

8. Close the front cover.

9. Power the machine back on. Wait for the machine to initialize.

If the grinding or clicking noise occurs, the drum unit is the cause of the noise. You will need to replace the drum unit to resolve this.

If the grinding or clicking noise does not occur when the drum unit is installed into the machine, continue to the next step.

10. Power off the machine and open the front cover.

11. Remove the drum unit.

12. Reinstall the toner cartridge into the drum unit. The toner cartridge will lock into place when set correctly.

13. Install the drum and toner assembly and close the front cover.

14. Power the Brother back on.

If the grinding or clicking noise occurs, the toner cartridge is the cause. You will need to replace the toner cartridge.

If the grinding or clicking noise does not occur, the issue is resolved.

If you replace the toner cartridge and you are still having problems, then the machine would need to be serviced.

I hope these instructions help.

Please rate my answer with at least 3 stars if you like my answer or it helped you resolve this issue.

Have a great day and thank you for using Just Answer.

Were you able to resolve this issue? Let us know! Thank you!