John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I get the mesage "clean the pick-up roller tray" I cleaned

Customer Question

I get the mesage "clean the pick-up roller for the tray"
I cleaned it the first time and it printed out 5 pictures aNd I got the message again' I hAVE
CLEANED IT 8 TIMES SINCE THEN AND WHEN I PUT THE PAPER TRAY BACK IN, I GET THAT SAME MESSAGE EVERY TIME.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first time this happened they connected me to someone from India and I was charged 73. dollars more than the [printer cost. It needs more ink but I refuse to add it until the printer is working. I shooulkd get a new printer and it won;t be a Brother
I wouild have you connect my device but what would be the cost?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is the message on the printer itself?

If so, connecting remotely will not be needed. That is a message about the internal workings of the printer, and does not involve the computer (or its control of the printer) in the least, I am sure.

(The price for remote control for this sort of case, I cannot cite... I have no power whatever to set prices. As an Expert at JustAnswer, I provide help with technical problems.)

Are you using genuine Brother toner supplies? is a question that needs to be asked.

And, is there build-up of toner on the pickup roller? visibly, I mean.

And lastly: Is there an error code number, accompanying the error message? if so, what is the error code, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The message is on the little window of the printer. I have never used anything but Brother ink.
I could not see any sort of build up on the rollers. I was told when I paid the 73.00 that the roller pickup was the 6 gray small rollers near the front. Have never seen any other rollers. I turn the printer up on its back so that I can see underneath.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I think the 73 dollar charge was not from JustAnswer.com. If you would like to check with Customer Support at JustAnswer.com as to whether that was charged by JustAnswer.com, just inquire at

***@******.***

since I have no power over billing charges and payments, and cannot access such information.

I will have to ask one more question: what model # ***** ***** Brother printer, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no error code on the window or messageJust the message No paper feed again
Clean the pickup roller for the tray
The model is MFC-J480OW
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information.

When you cleaned the pickup rollers, did you also clean, similarly, the pickup pad(s) in the paper tray(s)? as shown in this diagram:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/img/faqend/faq00002541_019/us/en/1011363/CleanPaperPickupRollers_01.gif

That might be necessary also.

What puzzles me is, the error message's exact format. There is no such exact wording of such an error message that I can find anywhere... except in reference to an Okidata MC860 printer. Apparently the error message is, essentially, undocumented in that form.