John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My WF-3640 is connected to wireless, I can see it on my

Customer Question

My WF-3640 is connected to wireless, I can see it on my devices. It's the default printer however it will not print any documents. It just says 'error' with no explaination.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: WF-3640 bought in February 2016
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: uninstalled, reinstalled, drivers up to date so none downloaded. This just started - I was away for 5 weeks and when I came back, it would not print anything.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your Epson printer.

How old is the printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WF-3640 bought in February 2016
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

have you tried to connect to the usb and then check if it prints or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me find a cable. I believe I have one long enough
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a cable to use
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

Till the time we use the printer with the printer usb cable we cannot detect the problem. you can get the cable its a standard usb cable for printers available on any computer store under $5.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you can check the printer with the cable and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where does it plug into that model of printer? I don't see it unless its right on the front. NOthing on the back
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

sometimes its under the scanner bed if you open the cover you will see the usb port, by the time i can check the model and let you know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
found a cable. I have the line connected to the LAN port and my desktop hub. Still won't print. The hub is the lan connection for my PC and that's working fine. Just printer won't print.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

we need to connect the printer to a printer usb cable and not the lan cable. Do you have the usb cable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't have the printer cable. Will have to get one at the store.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.

you can get one and then we can try printing after installing the printer usb driver. We can continue the chat after you get the cable, all you have to do is open justanswer email and click on view my answer then the chat will be launched again.