Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers
16433418

I am trying to install a Canon PIXMA printer MG2960 to print

Customer Question

I am trying to install a Canon PIXMA printer MG2960 to print from my MAC computer but it is not working. Please advise me as to what to do?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Are you setting it up it via USB or Wireless connection ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wireless
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a USB cable came with the printer ? It is is easy to setup Wireless using USB cable

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You cost me than the printer.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you are talking about the remote support offer, please ignore it. It is an automated offer from this website and it is optional. I will send you instructions in here without any additional payment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a cable.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The reason your printer is not appearing on the Mac is because you probably have not it connected to WiFi. Can you check the box of the printer for a cable ? or do you have any cable from old printer there ?

It should look like this --> http://driver-pro.com/static/images/article-content/usb-printer-installation-tutorial/usb-printer-cable.jpg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid it did not come with a cable.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Since your printer doesn't have the LCD screen, it is hard to setup WiFi on it. On your router, do you see a WPS button ? Two circular arrows button ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The WPS button looks like two circular arrows, in loop. It may be at the front, bottom or side of router. Some routers doesn't have it though.

Tell me the model of your router and I will check if it have WPS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is a router?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

The small box installed by your internet service provider, so you can access internet

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have found the WPS. It is a Telstra system.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Lets try connecting using WPS. Press the WiFi on your printer for 5 seconds and it will go into pairing mode. Now within 1 minute, press the WPS button on your router for 1-3 seconds and your printer will be paired. You may need to repeat this step.

To see if it is connected, on your Mac, go to Apple > System Preferences > Printers and Scanners. Press the + button there and does it recognize the printer there ?

or check the Canon installation app and does it appear there ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried several times to press the WIFI on the printer and also the WPS router button but no luck so far -makes no difference.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Then you need to buy the USB cable. USB cables are cheap and can get it for less than $5. You can get the printer USB cable from any local electronics stores

Can you buy it ? You only need this cable temporarily to setup WiFi on printer using your Mac. Once WiFi settings are saved, you can disconnect the cable.

Or please try WPS setup again. Refer this article --> http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Tutorial/MG2900%20series/EN/TRL/trl-3000.html

(Accesspoint means router in the above article)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is too late to go out and buy one now, Have tried again, Is that it?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

We can continue tomorrow. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later via that bookmark when you get the cable. It would take only 5 minutes to setup this with a cable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will buy one tomorrow. Thank you. Jaynie
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Good Night

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, Just checking. Did you get the USB cable ?