Joel Kalman
Joel Kalman, Engineer
Experience:  I am an MIT graduate with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from UC Berkeley.
76287196

EPSON CX7800 I ran out of ink, and ordered more from EPSON.

Customer Question

EPSON CX7800
I ran out of ink, and ordered more from EPSON. The cartridges arrived but I can not get the printer to go into the "change cartridge" mode. I have pressed the Setup/Utilities button several times and it just shows an E-01 Error with an X thru the first cartridge.
Can you help?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.E-01 Error message means paper jam, please open the printer cover and check for any jammed paper then, let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no paper jam.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleared paper jam
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

OK, now turn off the printer and power on it after that try to replace the cartridge.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did that. Same results.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

I think the cartridges are jammed due to something, please turn off the printer and then try to slide them with your hand and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Locked in right hand side. Can not move it.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

OK, now unplug the printer for 10 mins. after that reconnect it and then let me know, if you still get the error message or not ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not work. Carriage moves left to right and back at power on, but can not move it after error comes up.
Can we discuss this on a phone call and avoid all this typing?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

That is not needed, unfortunately, because the problem you are facing can be caused by three reason, due to real paper jam, cartridge jam and due to a defective sensor. As you have cleared the paper jam and you can see that the cartridges can move back and forth, it means the problem is with the sensor which detects the paper jam and shows the error message on the printer. Please make sure that there are no bits of paper left inside the printer and then, clean the inside of the printer with compressed air, if still, the problem persists then, unfortunately, there is no other way left except replacing the sensor from any repair shop. If the printer is less than one year old then, you can get it replaced from Epson without any cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wonderful. Good by
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.

I am extremely sorry for this answer.

Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.

The firmware may not be programmable ,if it is burned into a ROM. If it is configured by an EEPROM, you would need to remove the EEPROM from the pcb, and you would need a PROM programmer. You would have to insert the EEPROM into the programmer socket and read the contents into the programmer. Then you could modify the part number and reprogram the device. The you would reinsert it into the pcb.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not happy it's this site. Please do not contact me anymore!!!

I have given you an answer that was meant for another problem. It was my mistake. I apologize for the inconvenience.