Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I have a Brother MFC - 7840W All in-one and the paper got

Customer Question

I have a Brother MFC - 7840W All in-one and the paper got jammed while printing paper from the bottom tray. The copier copies okay but the next paper from the tray gets jammed. The message is jam inside. I have tried all suggestions.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

There is probably something jammed or broken inside

Can you take the tray out and look inside with a flashlight at where it would be picking up the paper?

Also if you pulled the tray out to remove the jam it might not be inserted quite right and that would affect the feed as well

Where in the machine is the front edge of the paper that gets jammed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe it is picking up two pieces of paper.The first one copies fine and makes it about 3/4 of the way through without a problem.It seems like it is the second one that gets caught and it makes it about 1/2 way through the ink cartridge before the jam occurs. The first on is easy to get out while the second that is caught in the ink cartridge takes a little effort to get out.This is a very repeatable process. Same thing every time. As you advised I looked with a flashlight and saw nothing that I could detect that was wrong.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

What is probably happening is that the third piece of paper is not being picked up from the tray at that point the printer shuts down leaving the other 2 where they are at the time

It might be the tray itself that's not right. Is there some sort of spring or mechanism to lift the paper so it feeds properly. That might be broken

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am only trying to make one copy, so I do not know why a third sheet would be involved.The gray swiveled 6" plate at the front of the tray seems to have a spring, but there is no spring apparently pushing the gray plate up. Maybe it is broken or something.The printer works fine if I only put one sheet of paper in the tray.Martin
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

It is hard for me to diagnose well from here.

but either its not feeding from the tray correctly or there is something jammed under the print head. Its not enough to stop every sheet but it stops some of them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried this many times and the same thing happens every time.Is there supposed to be a spring under the 6" plate in the tray?Martin
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i haven't got one here to look at. But if it looks like it should be lifting the paper than it probably should be lifting the paper somehow. either a spring or some usually more expensive printers actually jack it up with a wheel from the printer side.

You can buy a new tray from brother for 20 bucks

http://www.brothermall.com/Accessories/AccessoryDetail.aspx?AccessID=LS0686002&Model=mfc7840w

The rollers that pick the paper up from the tray can also go bad and the paper slips off. Those might work better on the first sheet than the next one. You can purchase and replace them pretty easily they just snap on. But look at the ones on it now first and see if they look worn out. they should be a little bit tacky so they can get a grip on the paper

https://www.google.com/search?q=MFC+-+7840W&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS561US561&oq=MFC+-+7840W&aqs=chrome..69i57.231730j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=mfc-7840w+paper+tray&tbm=shop&spd=3100897832135571002

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert mI would like to communicate with a different technician. Hopefully, one that is quite familiar with the MFC 7480w printer.Martin
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

I will opt out. I think that you need a new tray. I gave you the link to buy one for 20 bucks.

If anybody else here thinks differently they will post in.

If it turns out that i was correct i hope that you will give me a good rating.

Your rating is what gets each of us credit with the site.

thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert or new technician.I did as recommended by Robert and ordered a new tray for 20 "bucks". The same thing continues to happen to the printer so nothing has changed except that I am now out 2 "bucks".Printer works fine if I only put one sheet of paper in the tray. If there is more paper it pickas up a second sheet that gets caught 1/2 way through the ink cartridge. Any suggestions?