Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

Thanks looks like it did the job. a while, turn on and off,

Customer Question
thanks looks like it did...
thanks looks like it did the job.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: a while
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: turn on and off
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: yes it is still doing it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/4/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me the make/model of the printer, and the specific problem you are having?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
canon mp630 open inner cover

It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only, please.

Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more and hinders my ability to reply.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. First remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Next remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sorry did not work

Repeat the reset steps once more,

if that still fails after doing all the cleaning steps, this would then indicate an internal hardware failure (bad sensor or control board).

As this is a 2008 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

The printer would require service to correct this, but is simply not worth repairing. You would be in the $200 range to have it repaired, while you could buy a brand new model with updated features and a fresh warranty for about $75-100, which makes more sense than investing in the old printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no sorry did not work

Thank you for trying.

As indicated, that then confirms a hardware fault and the printer would need to be replaced at that point.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/1nxc4II or http://amzn.to/1nxc8Z5

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1nxcejv

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1nxcpv2

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1nxcnn0

Do you need more help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
DID NOT HELP..... GOT A NEW PRINTER.. STOP WITH THE EMAILS STOP STOP STOP

A new printer is precisely what I recommended for you initially, after explaining the cause of the problem and the impractical cost of resolving it.

In cases such as this, I am limited to diagnosing and explaining the problem, and giving you practical advise for how to proceed.

I am not emailing you directly, you get notification of replies posted here, and other follow up notices from the site until you have rated my service. I am obligated to respond to your inquiries here as long as the question is open.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Nathan, Engineer