John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a HP Laserjet 2420 that won't print PDF, It gives me

Customer Question

i have a HP Laserjet 2420 that won't print PDF
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LaserJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It gives me an error code of 49.4Co2
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: it is probably 10 years old
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: unplugging all of the cords and plugging it back in
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am pleased to have the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is your computer operating system?

Can you Print Test Page from Printer Properties?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can print in word and excel- it just pops up the error when I try to print PDF
I am using a macbook air

I am researching your issue. It is a problem that has occurred for many users on various printers. It appears to be resolvable by resetting your printer or by clearing the memory. I do not know exactly what will work in your case, but we can try some different procedures.

Do you have a memory card in your computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no memory card

Sorry. I meant to ask a different question. Do you have a memory card in your printer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no- no memory card there that I am aware of

Turn off the printer for a few seconds. Then turn the printer back on, and, while it is going through the memory test, press and hold the green Go button. Then release the Go button and use the up or down arrows to select Cold Reset. Please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not offer me the cold reset option

One solution for complex pdf documents is to print them as images.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I do that?

It should be in the print menu in Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat. Which one are you using?