VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

Canon Imageprograf IPF 610 displaying hardware error

Customer Question

Canon Imageprograf IPF 610 displaying hardware error 03130031-2F23, with instructions to turn it off and back on, but it doesn't solve the problem
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It has displayed on occasion before, and on those occasions would correct itself and then be OK, started about a month ago, but has been happening much more frequently, and today after over 10 restarts, no success. it is old, over 10 years, but has been a very reliable work horse printer, until this week, and of course it couldn't be a worse week tohappen.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: only what the display said, to turn it off, wait and turn it back on. Did also unplug it, wait and turn it back on, also disconnected cable from computer and restart too. but no luck
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no, just what specific part might be failing and how to fix it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Happy to assist you with this issue.

This is the first time you have seen this correct? Or has it happened before?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has happened before, started about a month ago intermittently. Instructions on the display sat turn it off and back on, this usually worked. But started happening more frequently, and today after over 10 attempts at restarting the printer, I am still getting the message.

Ok, I know what to do, Sir or Madam. Please hold.

What I need you to do is to check the Purge Unit, Sir or Madam. What is it's current state?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by purge unit, is that what Canon refers to as the Maintenance Cartridge?

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem with that is that it won't start up, so I can't get to the menu to check that.

It will not "Power On" at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It powers up, goes through it's Cleaning Process, then immediately displays the Hardware Error message with the number 03130031-2723 but I can't find that specific error message for this model printer, I found it for a different model where it said something about a pump

Hold a moment, Sir or Madam please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The maintenance cartridge was at about 40% a couple months back, when I replaced the print head, it is an old printer, more than 10 years, but it has been a real good one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, that error message should read 2F23, not 2723 that was a typo on my part

That I understand.

That Cart should have been Serviced at around 55% to 60%. What was it recently, if you know?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I remember it saying something like 40%, but that isn't related to this error message, it will give me a specific message when the cartridge needs to be replaced, and I have done that regularly. But it has to power up to properly replace the maintenance cartridge too. I do not believe this to be related to the maintenance cartridge

Now, we can try something here. You are in what time zone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eastern Time Zone, Jacksonville Florida

OK, can you spare another 30 to 40 minutes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can, if necessary, I'm not sure what you can accomplish remotely, do you know what the specific error message refers too? That is what I wanted to know.

We can connect Remotely if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can't look at the printer remotely, it is not a software or connection issue that can be resolved by you viewing my computer. Do you know what the specific error message refers too?

OK, please remove all Cable and the Power from the Printer. Leave it Powered Off for 30 minutes. Let me know when all cables and power cord are removed or unplugged from the printer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything is disconnected, but I have done this before. It has solved if for a while, but not long term. I will leave it off and disconnected overnight and try it again in the morning. You obviously didn't review the conversation I had prior to being connected to you. I said in that conversation that I have done that very thing. I has solved it in the past, temporarily and it may solve it again, temporarily. But I want to know what the specific piece of hardware is that the error message refers too, and you haven't helped me with that. If I knew that I could possible figure out how to repair it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It may be a part that is not in my best interest to repair, it that is the case I will consider replacing it. Things do wear out, but that is a pretty major investment, and this has been a very good printer for a very long time, so I am hesitant to do that, if I can figure out what part is failing. Wanting to know what the specifics of the error message was is what brought me here, but I don't think you know that, and are trying to just wiggle around the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one last time, and be honest with me. Do you know what the specifics of the hardware error message is? If not that is fine, I will try to find the answer elsewhere. But I do not believe we are going to solve it long term by just restarting it. It has been happening way to frequently for that. Thank you for your assistance, but I don't think you know what the problem is.I'll give you five more minutes to tell me if you know what the error message refers too, and then I am logging off and will try to find my answer elsewhere.

I did review it, Sir or Madam. We only need the Pump and Purge Unit to work long enough to at least have a successful Boot or Start Up of the printer.

Then we would move to address the Purge and Pump Units. I trying to get a Soft Reset of the Printer or since you are letting this go all night maybe a Factory Reset in the AM?

Yes, I do know many of the in's and out's, tip's and trick's to get this Printer to work. But, it appears that you are in a Pickle at the moment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I will leave it disconnected overnight, and try again in the morning, and if it comes up I will go into the menu settings and see what I can diagnose there, and am willing to try replacing the maintenance cartridge if it gives any indication that it is close to needing that. I will have to order one, though I don't have one onhand and don't know of a local supplier, but Amazon Prime can get it here pretty quick. Thanks

This printer is a Mid to Hi end printer. You can use Silk, Gold, Copper as well as Mid to Hi end Cotten, to create some lovely Art and well as Logo's for different types of media. I have worked with this printer in Offices, Labs and Graphic Shops, Sir or Madam. I am giving you the benefit of 25 years of paid experience in addressing this issue. I do not know it all, but I will not lead you astray as to what the issue or any possible resolutions maybe.