Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a canon imageclass mf4890dw, it says download mode -

Customer Question

i have a canon imageclass mf4890dw
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it says download mode - it wont do anything- everytime i plug it into my computer - my computer shuts down & can only be started in safe mode
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: over 1 year old
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

The only way to fix that issue, is to download and install a firmware update to the printer itself.

1. Visit http://consumer.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer
  2. Type you model name into the search box and select it from the list that appears.
  3. Click the 'GO' button to get to the Drivers & Software page for your model.
  4. From the Drivers & Software page, Select your Operating System and Version from the provided drop-down menues.
  5. If an update is available, the description will appear after clicking the red triangle next to the word 'Firmware."

Note: The image below is for a model that does offer a firmware update. Many models will not feature any user installable firmware updates.

You will need to enter the serial number of the device to begin the download.
  6. Click directly on the name of the file to begin the download process.

You may have to do the following through safe mode, since your computer shuts down when you connect the canon.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says there is no download update available
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already tried that
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

So you downloaded the firmware update tool from this page

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/black-and-white-laser/mf4890dw?tab=drivers#Z7_MQH8HIC0L88RB0AMD0F1Q42K25

Connected the printer via its USB cord directly to your computer.. And it said there were no firmware updates available?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - that file I've downloaded 5 times. It load the printer into a read only file - when I connect the USB - my computer shuts down.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also - it's not just the computer - it wont copy either . There is NO function. Only a message that says DOWNLOAD MODE
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

You mentioned that when you connect the printer, the computer will restart in safe mode.

Will it stay in safe mode with the printer connected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure - I'm on the computer that I have to connect the printer to.
Also - when I do the download of that file. The printer still doesnt appear in the Printer box in the control panel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there no way to factory reset it from the printer itself?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Most of the time, it wont let you clear the machine when its stuck in download mode.. But you can try

On the machine press menu - 2 - 8 - menu

This gets you to the service menu, then choose copier > function > clear-all to fully reset the machine.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none of the buttons on the printer are responding
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thats what I figured...

When you downloaded the file, and then you opened it and tried to run it.. Did you have the printer conencted directly to your computer via a USB cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, if I plug in the USB cable, the computer shuts down. And I've already replaced the cable with a new cable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I plug in the cable? I guess it isnt update the printer since it isnt plugged in. But after I downloaded the driver, I plugged it in & it shut down - went to the blue screen.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Lets try plugging in the usb cable with the printer turned off.. What happens then?

Also, try every usb port you have to see if another one will work properly.. If so, then you can update the firmware.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what happens if I get disconnected from you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Youre able to view my responses through your email. And then open those responses and click the button inside that says reply or view on justanswer.

or, you can just come back to justanswer.com, sign in, click my questions, and then scroll down and respond.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - i'll try
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Allright.. Keep me posted, though I will be breaking for diner in 2 minutes. So it may be a bit before I can respond again.

Dustin S