Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I have a HP Envy 5540 printer and a HP 175X HP Jet Direct

Customer Question

I have a HP Envy 5540 printer and a HP 175X HP Jet Direct print server. I can not get a TEST PAGE to print to the printer so that I can see the configuration of the Jet Direct. Is there something I need to set on the Jet Direct or printer? Thanks.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello Ted, and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

My name is ***** ***** I am the expert who is assisting you today.

.

I am reviewing your question, and need just a minute or 2 to reply back.

Please Stand-By

The TEST print page can be initiated from the computer using the HP utility.

See below image for instructions.

Also, you can only get network information for the WIRELESS SETTINGS ONLY.

The Jet Direct P-Server handles the WIRED network, and does NOT pass this info along to the printer, so it will never be available in a test print for network info.

You would use PING and TELNET to communicate with the JetDirect P-Server directly for network information.

.

Please reply for any questions.

Please take a moment to rate my performance.

Thank you!

The current TCP/IP address as well as the status of the HP Jetdirect can be viewed on its Configuration page. Print a Configuration page by using the printer's control panel Information menu or by using the Test button of an external or an LIO HP Jetdirect print server. It is recommended to print a Configuration page after configuring the HP Jetdirect to verify that the correct TCP/IP address and other information is correct.

A cold reset will clear any previous IP address or passwords as well as resetting the printer configuration back to factory defaults. The factory defaults include a TCP/IP address of either 169.254.x.x or 192.0.0.192. Some print servers may show the TCP/IP address as 0.0.0.0 if a LAN cable is not connected, or if the print server cannot detect the network connection due to a bad cable, hub, or LAN link speed configuration problem.

To cold reset an HP Jetdirect external print server, unplug the power cord from the HP Jetdirect print server, then hold down the TEST button (on top of or in back of the HP Jetdirect) for five to 30 seconds while plugging in the power cord.

Pressing the BACK button on the Jet direct does NOT reset it. You must follow the instructions above to reset it.

Hello?.......Ted?........Are you still there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have told me nothing new that I have not already tried. I wanted to know if a JetDirect 175x would work with a HP Envy 5540. If so, how to set it up.

YES IT WILL!

But first you need to JetDirect up and running, and verifiable that it is working.

By having it get assigned a DHCP address, and pingable on the network.

Once you have established THAT......then you can connect printer to JetDirect using the USB cable.

.

If you are not able to establish comm's with the jet direct, using a computer and the TELNET software, then the jet direct is not workign properly.

But i wonder WHY you would go about all this trouble....when the Printer itself has WiFi built right in.

Creating a tether WiFi network on a computer that has a wifi network card, will allow you to do an AD-HOC connection.

Using a Printe server is NOT plug and play.

It requires the technician (you) to follow a very narrow set of instructions, and along the way, deviating to check supporting components.

.

Its a process of elimination, and you will need to start over at STEP 1

.

Connect the jet direct to the network, and be able to ping it, or telnet into it.

Once you can do that, the rest of the process can commence.

The jet direct MUST be on the network (with a IP address that is on the same network as the computers that will send print jobs), for ANY printing to commence over the WIRED network.

But again, i wonder WHY you would use such a device, when the printer HAS buit-in WiFi.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We wish to send print jobs to the Jet Direct box (which we do all the time on JetDirect 170X and 300X units) from our Unix server. SCO does not play well with wi-fi.

okay, no WiFi.

.

Before the printer is even brought into the equation, the FIRST task remains......getting the Jetdirect to become a network device that is PINGABLE on the network.

If this is not possible, then you have issues with your network, or the cabling, or the jetdirect device.

.

So, are you able to do this first task?

Can you ping the jet direct device FROM the Unix server?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should not the Jet Direct 175 X send a test page even it it was not connected to a wi-fi or a hard wired network cable? I have two different Jet Direct 175 X units and neither one will send a test page to any printer?? One was a factory sealed unit. Hence, my question on compatibility with the Envy 5540.

Your not understanding what i am saying!

.

the test page will NOT send until the jetdirect has a NETWORK IP ADDRESS!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, this is my first attempt at using Just Answer. It has to have SOME IP address, even if it is not the same as my network. Or an I missing something?

no it does not.

if not network cable is detected it will have a 0.0.0.0 IP address

Do you HAVE the user manual to this device?

It is recommended to print a Configuration page AFTER configuring the HP Jetdirect to verify that the correct TCP/IP address and other information is correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No manual. And, yes I have a network cable plugged in the USB light is solid and the POWER light is flashing quickly.

Can you PING the jetdirect device?

What is the IP address of the jetdirect?

If you dont know, LOOK in the DHCP lease table.

If the DHCP lease table does not show it, then it might have APIPA address.

The factory defaults include a TCP/IP address of either 169.254.x.x or 192.0.0.192. Some print servers may show the TCP/IP address as 0.0.0.0 if a LAN cable is not connected, or if the print server cannot detect the network connection due to a bad cable, hub, or LAN link speed configuration problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done the reset process to unplug, hold the button on the back and plug it in and continue to hold for 30 seconds (I did 120 seconds just to be sure).

The VERY FIRST thing you need to fix is the IP address of the jetdirect, and make sure it can reach a DHCP server, and actually GET an IP address form it.

.

HP Jetdirect print servers with firmware x.07.03 or later have an embedded Web server that can be used to modify the TCP/IP parameters. Refer to the Jetdirect Configuration page to find the existing TCP/IP address of the print server.

If the HP Jetdirect is at its default IP address, use a “route add” command from the command prompt to add the IP address of the HP Jetdirect to the route table of the computer. The default IP address of an HP Jetdirect will usually be either 169.254.x.x or 192.0.0.192.

There are a few different ways to change the settings of the TCP/IP jetdirect......and the built-in webserver is just one of those ways.

I do think you SHOULD be able to print a config page BEFORE the jetdirect is established on the network, but there is nothign to confirm this.

.

A Configuration page will have useful information, including the current TCP/IP address, a network statistics section showing the amount and types of packets the Jetdirect is sending and receiving, and either ready or error messages that indicate network communication status.

Print a Configuration page by using the front panel of the printer to go to the Information Menu or the Test menu and find the Print Configuration. Refer to the specific printer's manual for more instructions.

Example

1. Press the ONLINE or GO button to take the printer OFFLINE.

2. Press the MENU button until a Test Menu, PCL Test Menu, or Information Menu message appears in the display.

3. Press the ITEM button until a Self Test, PCL Configuration Page, Print Configuration, or Print EIO Configuration message appears.

4. Press SELECT or ENTER.

IM looking for the instructions on the config print page for the printer now.

The deeper i look into this, I am noticing that there are NO mention of using a Jetdirect print server.

.

The thing is, that the Unix server does NOT have to connect TO the wiFi, only the printer does.

When a print job is sent out, it will route to the printer that is on the WiFi.

.

Im noticing that it might not be possible to use a jetdirect with this 5540.

But i am still looking.

Ah HA....I found it!

And its NOT good news.

The printer has a Hi-speed USB 2.0 port, and the jetdirect 175x does NOT support the Hi-speed USB connection.

.

See below image link

So...the bot***** *****ne is.......the jetdirect 175x WILL NOT WORK on the HP Envy 5540.

.

Sorry it took so long to find this out......but thats the rub sometimes, as information can be hard to find, and confirm.

So, your solution is to use a DIFFERENT jetdirect print server.......or use a different printer.

.

The Unix server i understand may have limitations in using a WiFi conneted printer, but that is how the Unix server works unfortunately.

Here is the link that shows the jetdirect175x will not work.

https://h20566.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=28830&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01060279

.

Thank you!

Actually now that i look through the list completely......there are NO jetdirect print servers that are compatible with the HP ENVY series of printers.

.

So if you MUST use a jetdirect print server, you will HAVE to use a printer that is on the list from th elink i show you above.

Atleast....Now you know......RIGHT!

.

You can stop pulling your hair out trying to get it to work properly, as it wont ever run properly, because it is a non-compatible working device.

Please TAKE A MOMENT TO RATE my performance.

Thank you!

Ted......did you have any follow-up questions?

Hello....Ted?