Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert
30970729

Brother mfc-9840cdw - works all other ways- when trying to

Customer Question

brother mfc-9840cdw - works all other ways- when trying to fax, it starts to dial but does not scan first as it should with either the flat bed or the adf
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Frank,

I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.

Please check through the following first, and ensure the correct date and time is set, etc:

1. To send a fax using the flat bed scanner glass:
    1. The ADF must be empty when faxing from the flat bed scanner glass.
    2. To send a fax using the scanner glass (flat bed), lift the document cover and then using the guidelines on the left, center the document face down on the scanner glass. Close the document cover. Press the FAX mode key located below the LCD display if it is not illuminated in green. Dial the fax number using the dial pad and then press Black(Mono) Start or Color(Colour) Start.

* If you are sending a single page and pressed Start, press 2 (For touchscreen models, press No) or Start again. The MFC will begin to dial.

* If sending multiple pages and you pressed Start, press 1 (For touchscreen models, press Yes), lift the document cover, remove the first document and place the second page on the scanner glass. Press OK or Menu/Set. (For Touchscreen models, press Black (Mono) Start.) The Brother machine starts scanning the second document. (Repeat this procedure for each additional page). When all documents have been scanned press Start and the machine will begin to dial.

2. TO send a fax using the ADF:

1. Before placing your document(s) in the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF), verify the LCD displays the date and time. Place a document in the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF). Verify the LCD changes to "Enter Fax No.".(The message may vary depending on your Brother machine.)
  2. If the display continues to show the date and time, verify the documents are between 11.7 and 8.5 inches wide and 5.8 and 17 inches long. If the document is less than 5.8 inches wide, the document sensors will not "sense" the document and the fax machine will not transmit. The document must be wide enough to reach the sensors to inform the machine there is a document to send.

--------------------
Kindly rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page if my answer worked so I am rewarded for my time; otherwise please reply back if you need further assistance.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, Please re-read my question. you have explained how to operate it. I already know this. when faxing you put the document in the ADF or under the glass, you enter the number and press start. the scan lamp will heat up and the it will scan and then dial. I am checking to see if what I have been told is the problem matches your response. A 2nd opinion. try again or don't charge me.
thanks and regards. Frank D.

Hi Frank,

If you are operating it correctly as described previously, but it is not performing correctly, then it has a fault and will need to be sent for repair.

Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, thank you for the reply, but you have not answered my question. Do Not charge me as I will dispute it. I will do you the favor of not rating this. I am in the process of repair and was soliciting a technician's point of view to find out if I was being given the right information.
Frank D.

Hi Frank,

I am a user of this site like you and I have no control over payments.

What repairs are you intending to carry out yourself? Since this is likely a software-related glitch, you will need specialist programming equipment and software to carry out any repairs.

Pete.