Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

How do I change the passcode HP Photosmart C390a...it is

Customer Question
how do I change the...
how do I change the passcode for my HP Photosmart C390a...it is asking for the passcode and I don't remember ever giving it a passcode...don't know what it is so I need to change it...can you help
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
6/10/2016
Technician: Sowrav D., Engineer replied 1 year ago
Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Do you use Windows or a MAC PC ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Windows 10
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dell Inspiron

Thanks for the reply, there are two way with which we can help you. One by using our additional service which is remote support and two I will post the steps here and you have to follow them. Please let me know what you want to try ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am on a tight budget it the 39$ on top of the charges already? Will I get my money back if you can't
fix it?

100%, if I fail to solve the problem you will get the full refund of the total amount for this question and the remote support service.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how much will this cost ...total
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Please give me the instructions as I do not know you therefore I am leery you to accessing my computer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
leery allowing a stranger to access my computer

That is your wish , but we are a reputed site as you can see the certification and I will just give you steps and watch what you are doing and only try anything, if you are not able to follow the steps correctly and overall you will be watching what I am doing.

Anyway, do you know how to open the Devices and Printers window or should I give you the steps to do that ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no I know....I have been trying everthing for the last several days
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have uninstalled and every time I try to reinstall it ask for a "Pass code" which I do not remember and can not go any further . I think what is needed is to be able to change "Passcode"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have gone to HP to update drivers but it will not upload...wont complete

Is it anything like Administrator password ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no ...that doesn't work

Can you tell me, where exactly you are getting the password ***** as you said you cannot download the drivers, so how you are trying to reinstall ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Because I can not put in the correct passcode the error message I get is Photosmart has Failed....I have to have the passcode to reinstall
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have done this as least 50 times in the last 3 days ...download for HP but that won't complete...tried to reinstall but don'[t have the passcode...keeps saying the printer can't be found

From where you are trying to reinstall the printer, like using the disc or downloading from the Internet etc ? As I cannot see your PC, it is very difficult for me to understand that exact situation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
settings/devices/printers & scanners
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have the original set up disk

OK, that mean you are opening the Devices and Printers window but what you are doing to reinstall the printer, because just opening the window will not help. You cannot download the software, there is no disc then, how are you trying to install the printer, I am getting confused on this point ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
settings/devices/printers & scanners + add printer or scanner ...I click on this and then it searches for printer and comes back with the message the "Photosmart C390a printer has failed"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I go to hp Support ...put in the printer name and download the driver but it never completes the download

OK, are you sure the printer is still connected with the wireless network , as this problem is generally caused due to communication problem between the router and printer. Please turn off the router and printer for few mins. do not close this page. After that power on them both and try to reinstall then, let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Turning off rounter is this going to cause new problems with my laptop?

Why do think so ? Turning the printer and router may reset them both and solve the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok unplugging the router already unplugged the printer...what is the name of your company?

Justanswer.com. do not close this page, after powering on the router wait for few mins, so that your laptop can reconnect with the Internet and then, reply me back.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
settings/devices/printers & scanners when I click on search for printer it grabs it but IT STILL WANTS THE PASSCODE...which I do not have. Now both my Tvs are in conflict....aaaarrrggggg

Sorry, how you Tvs get involved in it, do you use Smart TV ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have both tvs hooked up to ROKU

Don't worry then will be connected with the router shortly. As far as I know about TVs. Anyway, when you searched for the printer, did the PC is able to find the printer correctly.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
but it keeps asking for passcode when I click on to install the printer and I do not have the passcode that it wants

Do you have any other user account on your laptop ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, no other user account
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I started this my very first question was how to reset the passcode for the printer as I started originally that seems to be what is needed

It must be asking for the administrator password, because only that can block the installation, there is no password ***** the printer software.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I upgraded to Windows 10 I changed the adm password ***** it is too long for this and do not remember the old password

Do you have any password ***** the existing user account, which you are using at this moment ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do but it is too long and can not put the full password ***** the area required for the password

No, I want to know if you have any password ***** the user account, which you are using right now, as you can access windows and trying to install the printer from that account.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they are one in the same....it is the password ***** am talking about....sorry about delay
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't afford a new printer but I have to have several documents printed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maybe this will be part of the equation...In my frustration I set the printer defaults back to the factory setting ...this is when I started having problems...would this affect my situation and how?

No, that does not affect the printer software.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what settings are you referring to? the only settings I have checked is to try to add the printer

There is no need to get a new printer, the problem is with the computer end.

You will face the same problem, even if you get a new printer.

Can you tell me, what exactly do you see on the password ***** ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Enter the Pass code for your printer (Is on top)
You might need to enter the same passcode into the printer. (right below)
then has a spot/rectangle to enter your pass code
then right below the rectangle is these words "Or,try entering a passcode on it"
The the button next or cancel

Do you see the same message on your printer screen, at the same time ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, I have to search for it & it does not allow letters and only 4 numbers
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
when I print out wireless Network Test report Wireless working says FAIL

Ok, do you know the password ***** your router, as it seems it is asking for the router password, because Computer administrator password ***** will not ask you to enter password ***** the printer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
print out from the printer itself not from the computer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do but it is letters and numbers both but it says when I put that password ***** it says "that didn't work" Try adding your Photosmart C390a again

Can you check the printer and let me know, if the wifi light is blinking or steady or complete off ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
wifi and Bluetooth are steady blue

Do you know, how to connect the printer with the router, as it seems the printer is disconnected from the router.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no....I have a 5 ft cord to usb to printer , printer is about 40 ft from modem which they said is also a wireless router
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you want me to move the printer next to the modem?

If this is a first time, you are trying to install and use the printer then, you can do that or if you have moved the printer from the router, recently, otherwise if the problem have started suddenly then, there is no need to do that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The printer was working before but I had to keep reinstalling it when the laptop went to sleep ....that is when I reset back to factory setting and then could no longer access it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am wondering if with the original factory setting disk they had a passcode on it???
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have put into the printer settings on the printer itself subkey address default gateway address and the device address and also the internet IP address
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
network name is SSID but right below that is has Hardware address (MAC)
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
these are what are showing on Wireless Test Report
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
for the printer

Yes, SSID is the name of router. Please follow the steps below on your printer and let me know.

Press or Touch the Setup button and then select Network.

Let me know, if you get a option like Network Setup wizard or not ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
am I being charged by the minute or a flat rate..it was a flat rate

The charge is a single time charge, there is no per min. charge. so take your time and let me know, I think I have found the problem and if you can follow my instructions properly, we will be able to solve the problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have tried this a dozen times but it doesn't connect just keeps runni tried after I turned off router with you

OK, when you select the Network Setup Wizard on the printer screen, it just try to find the router and find nothing at all , correct ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just went and tried again

Thanks for the reply, please take the printer and keep it near the router then, let me know what happens and if you have connected the USB cable already then, disconnect it from the printer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did this yesterday with the computer three times but not to the router/modem itself...will go get the printer...it is quite heavy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is no usb port on modem/router

I just saw that, you said the printer was unable to find the router, after you restarted it, do you mean the printer was able to find the router, before that and do you have reset the printer to factory default after powering off the router ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yesterday the printer and laptop were able to communicate....I got frustrated because every time the computer went to sleep I would loose the printer so I thought that maybe resetting printer back to factory settings it would help. It did not that is when the computer and printer were not able to see each other. When asked to turn off modem today it did not make any difference

See this is the final test we can try, if this failed then the problem is with wireless card of the printer and that seems to be caused the problem before. In that case, the only solution for this problem is replacing the wifi card from any repair shop, as that is not a user replaceable part. You may think, that I cannot solve your problem, but you should understand that, this is a hardware fault and I cannot replace a defective spare through Internet. I can only tell you what to do to solve the problem. If you have clearly explained, what you have tried already in your initial question then, I could have saved your time by giving you the answer quickly, but you just said that, it is asking for a password, which you do not know. Anyway, I will open the question for other experts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I live out of town so if you want me to connect the printer and modem I will have to go to town to get a cord
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I Think I will need an Ethernet cord ...correct?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will I be able to skip the wifi?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not wifi but wireless
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He did not answer my last questions
Technician: Robert M., Consultant replied 1 year ago
Robert M., Consultant

that printer can be set with a password ***** you are going into the web section from a browser but it shouldnt have one if you are trying to print to it. especially if you are using a usb cable.

i can give you a good price to do the remote and look at it as you have been struggling for all this time. but i think that i would need to see the place where it asks for a password ***** see what program is actually asking for it.

Robert M., Consultant