Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Trying to print small envelopes from the upper tray in Canon

Customer Question

Trying to print small envelopes from the upper tray in Canon Pixma 922, the print a\dialog box won't allow me to choose the upper tray though I have selected envelopes in the media type dialog box
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: bought it yesterday because I couldn't do it in my other one assuming it was the machine. The old one is 9 months old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Please allow me a few minutes to review your question, and reply back.

Please Stand-by

Is the model number ACTUALLY:

Canon Pixma MX922

?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The envelopes are 5.75 x 4.375. I have printed this size before. The dialog box will not let me choose the upper tray. I am printing from word

Okay......Thank you.

.

So to print on Envelopes.....only 1 cassette (tray) will allow this.

Which cassette do you have you envelopes loaded into?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I printed previously from the upper. I have tried the lower and it tells me there is no paper in the tray.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the top cassette for?

The User Manual doesnt directly say it, it says it in a more INdirect way.....and only certain paper types go in certain cassettes....and from the image below, you can see, that only the LOWER cassette is used.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it says the paper size is 8.5 x 11. I printed from the upper 2 weeks ago, same size envelope. It won't print the envelope from the lower either

In this image you will see that the LOWER cassette is being listed

I believe some settings may have inadvertently been set incorrectly.

YOu may need to START over, and go through EACH setting, to MAKE SURE they are all set up correctly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the image. I have reset them - no matter what I choose the upper tray is grayed out. Please tell me what the correct settings are
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this size envelop is too small for the lower tray which is why I used the upper tray last time

Well, there is no mention of using the UPPER tray for envelopes.

So....if you are using the machine in a way UNINTENDED by the manufacturer......there isnt much I can do.

.

But, i will do whatever I can.....

Did you align the PAPER GUIDES, within the Paper Cassette?

I just noticed you CAN in fact print Envelope from the UPPER cassette......so its just a matter of setting the appropriate settings for this operation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is why I have contacted you for support. What are the correct settings. Been printing on these machines for over 25 years - can you help me with the correct settings?

Here is the correct Page Sizes for that printer, and WHICH cassette to place them. (See image)

.

YES, i think i can help you.....however, in order to print to envelope, you MUST be using the Printer Driver Software.

.

Can we do a REMOTE SESSIOn, so I can have a look at the settings, and show you the changes needed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the print driver software

Perfect....lets get you the remote service offer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the cost? I have bought a new printer, thinking there was a problem with my previous Canon 922, spent $100 yesterday on text support to try and print small envelopes.

Cost will be the original question cost (showing $23 i think) + Premium service fee of $15 for a total of $38

Did you read through the USer Guide, and User Manual before attempting to print to envelopes?

This can usually resolve most issues, BEFORE needing to ask for technical support.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot find where the setting are in the manual - I am on a mac

Ahhh HA.....your on a MAC.....thought you were on a Windows machine.....THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you still help me?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 1 year ago.

i can help you even on a mac if you want to agree to the additional charge for remote access.

But i have to tell you i dont know if you can print them from the upper tray. the instructions want you to print them from the lower tray

http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/M/MX920%20series/EN/BG/Bg-Loading1500.html

and there may be some size issues as well. It is designed to print standard number 10 envelopes or the European equivalent. If the envelopes are much smaller than that it might not be able to get them through the printer.