Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My brother lc 79 xxl series printer has a paper jam, but I

Customer Question
can't find the source....
My brother lc 79 xxl series printer has a paper jam, but I can't find the source. I can hear it jamming up at the print head?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
5/31/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you give me the printer model number, please?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
LC 79 XXL series
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are u still there

Yes, I'm here, but that is not a proper model number.

That is the ink cartridge, which is used by many different models.

It should start with MFC followed by some numbers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MFC-J6700W

Thank you.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Thank you,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The carriage appears to be jammed. It doesn't move freely., and makes grinding noise when I close the cover

Where is it stuck? Parked on the right side?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to the right. but when I reset the power I could hear the carriage move from right to left

Can you actually see it?
If it only moves an inch or so, that indicates it is hung up on the absorber system.

If it does move further, then you need to proceed with the above cleaning steps still.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It doesn't move at all

Well you said you could hear it moving.

If it is completely stuck and will not move at all, then it is hung up on the absorber system.

Try sliding a thick piece of cardstock or even a metal ruler under the head, then see if you can move it manually over.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can't get it to move. Think I'll have to take into a repair shop
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your suggestions. I have to leave now.

Okay if it will not move at all, then the purge/absorber system is damage and that is what is causing this.

It is something that would need to be repaired, but it is absolutely not worth fixing, or even having it looked at - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer. This is a 4 year old model, that was built for a maximum service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has failed, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/208LtQk or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1JSHOlQ

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Do you need more help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No Thanks

Thanks for the update.

Thank you, ***** ***** a good day,

Nathan, Engineer