Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers
16433418

I just purchased a Canon Pixma 492 printer. During set-up, I

Customer Question

I just purchased a Canon Pixma 492 printer. During set-up, I got a message saying "enter pass phrase" . What is pass phrase
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

That means, you are trying to connect to your WiFi network and it is asking for your WiFi network password/key. Do you know your WiFi password ? If so, enter it on the printer and it will be connected to your network. This is necessary to setup the printer over wireless. If you don't know it, then check the back or bottom of your wireless router and you should see it there and it may say WiFI key, passphrase, password *****

You need to enter the correct password/passphrase exactly. If you don't find it, then please let me know and we can retrieve it using your computer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at router. It doesn't say pass phrase, password ***** anything pass. The number I always have used is on there but it is a ten digit number and the printer will only allow me to enter two digits.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

That is strange. WiFi password ***** ***** than 7 digits. Turn off the printer and unplug it. Turn it back and does it accept the key now ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didn't work. What would the total fee be if I let you connect and if you can't get me set up do I have to pay.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

You don't have to pay anything if you are not satisfied or if I couldn't solve your problem. The fee to connect is $39 I believe.

I can send you instructions in here to fix it. After turning on your printer, what exactly does it ask ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are just trying to set the printer up. So far into setup process it recognized our wifi system and asked for the pass phrase. There is an X shows up on the setup mode. When turned off and on all that shows in screen is copy.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is asking for WiFi password. Are you not able to enter more than 2 digits ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any computer there connected to your WiFi network ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Is it a Mac or Windows PC ?

If Windows, what version of Windows are you using on it ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows PC. We just just realized the keypad won't type a 1 but will type all other numbers and as many as we want. 1 is part of our pass number.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hold down 1 and does it type now ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If it still not typing, then we can establish the wireless connection to printer using your computer.

Go to this website and download the software --> https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mx-series-inkjet/mx492

(Click Select next to "MX490 series Full Driver & Software Package (Windows)" and download it. Open the downloaded file and follow the onscreen instructions to install it).

While installing, you will get an option to setup wireless. So select it and let me know once you did thta

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work. Fed up. Going to return it and go back to our old printer. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about that. You should be able to setup it using your computer. If you want, I can connect to your computer and setup the printer myself for you without any additional cost. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks. If I replace it I will text back.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Ok, since I couldn't solve your problem, you can contact *****@******.*** for refund. Please don't rate the answer bad or poor or anything if you are not satisfied. You can close this page without rating and ignore the rating requests.

Have a great day,