Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a X4270 printer with no problems. Recently

Customer Question
I have a X4270 printer...
I have a X4270 printer for years with no problems. Recently it prints a couple of pages and then the copies come out as though it is out of ink. After I clean the jets, it does the same thing happens again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/29/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Nathan, Engineer
Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Herman. Unfortunately this symptom indicates a hardware problem,specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2006 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.At this point the printer has served its designed maximum lifespan more than 3 times over and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it. There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know. Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,Nathan --Please note:I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.
.
Do you need more help with this?If so, simply reply back on this page.Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.Nathan