MasterFixIt
MasterFixIt, Technician
Experience:  I have been fixing Printers and copiers for over 30 years.
11519491

On my HP T1100, I am getting a squeaky noise as the carriage

Customer Question

On my HP T1100, I am getting a squeaky noise as the carriage moves back and forth
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Also, I already cleaned and lubricated the bar.
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: On my HP T1100, the carriage squeaks as it moves back and forth.
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: I changed the belt 6 months ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already cleaned and lubricated the bar.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm Tim and will be assisting you today. I have over 15 Years as an Engineer and have been with eBay, DoD and many others. I will do my VERY BEST to help you. If you like i can offer remote access and a call. In addition, with any positive rating I will support your question going forward for free.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
Is it still functioning? squeek may be coming from the motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is still functioning. The squeak only occurs during about one foot of the 36" carriage travel.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
always at the same time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
There are a lot of complaints online, as i'm sure you know. I think taking a look at the motor is worth while, and id buy a can of contact cleaner from walmart, its safe on all electronics, so you can feel free to clean the roller again, and anything that touches the paper. And find the motor, and give it a good spray down. Make sense?
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
that's not a 100% for sure fix, but its a 7.00 can of safe cleaner, and a lot better than having it serviced. I 've run across this with laser printers and tore them down and used contact cleaner liberally and have had some success. If its not the roller, its the thing that controls it, the motor, or anything else mechanical that touches the wheel. http://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-Electronic-Cleaner-11-Oz./16817418
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
walmart is showing the wrong price...... http://www.amazon.com/CRC-05101-QD-Electronic-Cleaner/dp/B000CCMLD0 as long as its electrical cleaner, your all good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't believe this is it but I will try it.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
well, what else is it going to be? Its definitely not a programming issue, its a mechanical problem, no dobut.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
want me to open up the question to other experts since you don't seem to believe me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please ask other people. My point is this, the motor is making 15-20 revs before it reaches the squeaky section - why isn't it squeaking the whole way? It sounds like a belt issue to me but I just swapped it out 6 months ago.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
motor, unknown why it would be then, could be another belt, or the belt may need to be cleaned.
Expert:  Tim replied 1 year ago.
anyways, i opted out so others can take it if they want. I still say contact cleaner all around, + maybe another belt.
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, this si Tech Michael, please let me knwo if you would like further advice on how to cure the squeak correctly?Thank you and have a nice day. Tech Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please!
Hi what you can do, is really simple.Use only lithium grease on this, they usually sell that in a spray can at all auto parts stores , Walmart etc. But please do NOT spray it into the machine, rather spray some into a small metal container and use a Q tip to apply a few dabs (keep it minimal) on the rails the head travels on. That should do it.In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.Please rate my service thus far.Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.Thank youSincerelyTech Michael