Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

XP-620 used in wireless communication with an Apple Mac Book

Customer Question
Pro: This arrangement was working...
XP-620 used in wireless communication with an Apple Mac Book Pro: This arrangement was working very well for a year. Now the computer does not see the printer through the above defined link. When I put the printer through the Wi-Fi Setup process, it appears to complete normally. Unfortunately, it will not talk to the computer. The one thing that is different is that the wireless router was reset to factory defaults. I am guessing that the IP address and the password ***** changed to factory defaults in the process. I know that the password ***** changed for sure. What can I do to get it working again?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
4/12/2016
Technician: Michael Norman, Information Systems Manager replied 1 year ago
Michael Norman
Michael Norman, Information Systems Manager
Hello. My name is, Mike. I'd like to try and assist you with your issue. It appears the problem is centered around the new router. Once you hook up a new router you have to go through the wireless setup from beginning to end on the printer. Based on your description it appears you have done that and the printer is still not working. Do you have any other wireless devices that you can use to see if the printer is showing up? If you can find the printer on other devices and not your Mac Book, then you can deduce the issue is with the Mac Book. However if the printer is not showing up on any wireless devices then you can deduce the issue is with the printer. When setting up wirelessly you should have been prompted to put in all of the information pertaining to your router, such as the password. If going through the wireless setup process doesn't work you can plug the printer into the back of your wireless modem as well. This is is a trick to make non-wireless devices accessible wirelessly. This is in case the internal Wifi antenna of the printer is malfunctioning.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If the printer failed to prompt for router info, one can infer that the printer software has failed and is defective. This means that I need to get the software from Epson and reload it. Since I cannot do that without incurring an unreasonable cost, it appears that the printer is useless and I need to buy a new printer. I will first check with the tech people from DLINK to see if there is anything that can be done with the router. Apparently, the quality of the communications software is extremely poor.
Try hooking the printer up to your computer wired and see if you can get the printer to work at all. If the printer works when hooked up via wire, you can hook it up via wire to the router like I mentioned previously. You can also download all necessary utilities and drivers for free for your printer here: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?UseCookie=yes&oid=253770&prodoid=63099803&infoType=Downloads&detected=yes&platform=OSF_W_10-64
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unfortunately, I don't have the correct cable to hook the printer directly to the computer. Plus, that would defeat the purpose of having a mobile lap-top computer. I know there is nothing wrong with the printer function because it was working perfectly prior to the reset of the router. I think updating the router could fix the problem.
I think you were misunderstanding my suggestion. Troubleshooting is a method of process of elimination. I was merely recommending you connect it to your laptop via wire to ensure the printer is functional. Given the fact that it was working before you reset the router the issue would appear that you have not set up the printers wireless settings correctly to connect to your router.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The printer options do not allow the entry of any data. I have investigated every option on the menu and I would have expected to see a place to enter password ***** IP address. There is nothing. That is why I suspect the software in the printer is faulty.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My guess is that the printer is not talking to the router. I also guess the the cheapest fix is to get a new printer and a new router. It seems that the router technology is far from perfected and that the set-up procedure for the DLINK router is too complex for the average user to perform. I know the instruction booklet is totally inadequate.
Refer to : https://files.support.epson.com/docid/cpd4/cpd41237/index.html Click on Wifi Protected Setup (WPS).
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Post Script: I accidentally solved the problem. It was not an IP address issue and not a printer issue. It was, in fact, a router issue. I went to the "DLINK" web site and reconfigured the router, thereby changing the password ***** to the previous value as opposed to the factory default. Then I did the Wi-Fi auto set-up on the printer. My lap-top then recognized the printer and I was able the add the printer definition back to the system. The printer now works as before the unfortunate router reset.
Excellent.
John, Computer Science Engineer