Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have a Canon Pixma MP980 and am printing from Photoshop

Customer Question
Hi I have a Canon Pixma...
Hi
I have a Canon Pixma MP980 and am printing from Photoshop Elements. I find that after carefully measuring (for example) a 170mm X 85mm image to print (I add 3 of these to one A4 paper sheet) and then print, the actual size of the printed image is 172.5mm X 86m.
Can you advise how I can print exact copies.
I also note that if I create an image and print a borderless copy the print programs always advises that image has been enlarged and will print over the edge? Why?
Thanks
Annette ********
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Printers
3/28/2016
Technician: Electronics Pete, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Electronics Pete

Hi Annette,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Pete ?????
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Have you any more to say? I have to have a shower cant wait by PC any longer.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still nothing?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I note that every time I look at this page you are online - but I am not getting any answers?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bed time - goodnight

Hi Annette,

I am online now.

Sorry for the delay - you were not online when I first responded to your question, and I have been offline since.

In the Print Settings menu, go to Print Size. Select Actual Size from the drop-down menu.

Let me know if that works?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have selected A4 size paper and the program actually loads the measurements that I have created my document (29.5 X 21cm) which is slightly narrower than A4. So that does not help my situation. In fact if I am printed full size I usually make it slightly smaller because of this problem. However when I specifically make a measurement inside my document I expect that to be spot on - which as explained it is not.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Read my post above - you have made a suggestion. It is wrong. I need an answer before I think of giving you a rating.

Where are you making this selection?

Would you prefer remote assistance with this question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Perhaps you can tell me exactly where I should make the selection. I have attached a screen dump which shows that the program has automatically input the page size (A4) and in the 'Select print size" again the program has auto filled this dimension. I cannot see where else to input any further size selections, or indeed further input would be necessary.
Are you familiar with a Canon printer - if so just guide me to where you believe I can input size selection that would make any difference to the outcome?
No thankyou I do not want remote assistance - you, being an Expert should be able to give simple instructions on how to fix this problem.
Technician: Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience: A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

Hello Annette, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you're using.

Windows XP, Widows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Or a Mac.

If it's a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am using Windows 10, prior to that I was on Windows 7 - same problem.

Allright, part of whats probably happening here is that the printers driver settings are over riding the settings you are setting manually when you try to print through photoshop.

Another issue youre facing is that printer does not have a windows 10 driver listed on the canon website.. You can see by checking the driver downloads on this page

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mp-series/pixma-mp980

So what version of windows driver are you using.. Windows 7.. Windows 8 ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
MP980 series MP Driver Ver. 1.03 (Windows 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP/2000)Last Updated : 04-Feb-2014Please note: I have used PSE for many years (probably prior to Windows 7) but this is the first time I have used specific measurements within a program and actually measured the end result. However I have printed hundreds of borderless documents and always received the message ; 'The document to be printed is enlarged so that it slightly extends off the paper . . . .". I am therefore assuming that the same is occurring with the current project which is not borderless, but possibly it is also being 'slightly' extended?

One thing I can say, and it isnt exactly clear from that message but this may help with the initial issue you mentioned.

Is that when you choose borderless printing, the software will artifically enlarge the printed image to make it "borderless" This is from canons FAQ on borderless printing.

""In borderless printing, an image will be slightly enlarged. Thus, the edges of the image will not be printed since they are extended off the paper.""

If you want true to size pictures printed, you dont want to choose borderless printing as that will extend and increase the size of the pictures you are selecting.. This is true regardless of what program you are printing from or what settings you choose after you choose borderless printing..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I understand the reason why (but do not agree with it - if I make a document the same size as the paper, that is what it Should print), however you have not answered my original question (28 March) - why are my precisely measured items not printing that size within a document?
Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist