Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I changed the drim unit on my Brother HL-4040 because I was

Customer Question

I changed the drim unit on my Brother HL-4040 because I was getting a streak on my printouts. When I tried to start the print, it now makes a grinfing noise and I get error 29
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I cannot get the printer to print after changing the drum unit. I get Printer unable 29. I turned off the printer, removed the drum unit, searched for paper etc, could not find any. It makes a bit of a grinding noise when it tries to print and then goes to the error.
JA: Sometimes printer issues that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Printer Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: There was no problem with this before I changed the drum unit. I am wondering if it is possible to reinsert it wrong.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, let's review the basics; proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done) is to install back the old drum unit. Determine if the error/symptom(s) would change:

• • if yes, then the new drum unit has an issue;
  • • if no, then it would be an internal hardware issue with the HL-4040.

Please click HERE for (additional) insights on drum replacement (if have not been viewed/referenced).